Would changing the pots help...?

RyCLB

• Members

Hey all...

I've got a '99 MIM Jazz and I was wondering if changing the pots out would help with the tone? I've already put a Badass bridge on it, and I don't have enough scratch for some new pups, so I was thinking maybe changing the pots might help. The tone is decent, but the E-string seems to be a little louder than the others. Also, any ideas on what kind of pots I should get if I were to replace them?

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!:D

• Members

I've changed pots on a couple basses and never noticed much difference in tone. Might try screwing in the height adjustment screw closest to the E string, lowering the height of the pickup to see if that helps with E string volume. Possibly screw the other adjustment screws out a bit (not a lot).

• Members

Originally posted by gbassman100

I've changed pots on a couple basses and never noticed much difference in tone. Might try screwing in the height adjustment screw closest to the E string, lowering the height of the pickup to see if that helps with E string volume. Possibly screw the other adjustment screws out a bit (not a lot).

Yep, I've tried adjusting the pickup height, to no avail. That stubborn string is still louder! It probably could use new pickups - it'll just have to wait...It's not my main bass anyways, but I love it to death!

• Members

Try ajusting the pups a little farther away from the strings on the E side. The pots won't help the louder string.

Save up some cash and get yourself some better pickups as soon as you can. The Mexi pups aren't very good. I have a Mexi Jazz also.

• Members

Originally posted by Gruven

Try ajusting the pups a little farther away from the strings on the E side. The pots won't help the louder string.

Save up some cash and get yourself some better pickups as soon as you can. The Mexi pups aren't very good. I have a Mexi Jazz also.

Yeah, I know I need some new pickups...might as well wait. Thanks!

• Members

Originally posted by RyCLB

Hey all...I've got a '99 MIM Jazz and I was wondering if changing the pots out would help with the tone? I've already put a Badass bridge on it, and I don't have enough scratch for some new pups, so I was thinking maybe changing the pots might help. The tone is decent, but the E-string seems to be a little louder than the others. Also, any ideas on what kind of pots I should get if I were to replace them? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!
:D

the problem with jazz pups is they cant be adjusted relative to all the strings on a fender small radius neck..

consequently when the E and G are ok the A and D are too far away...and variations on that

that is why the P is so versatile in its design..its 2 pups which can be set relatively equally to the string for height

pots i presume can affect overall levels.. but not just one string...imho

as for the pups there is nothing you can do to get equal vols with J/J setups:(

Archived