OT: Fear Factory, Soilwork, SYL, Darkane

mounds

• Members

Another awesome show for 2005-- last year was kinda dead, but we've been having one good show after another. I was kinda reluctant to see FF (the last time I'd seen them was on Rob Zombie's hellbilly tour in '98). They were really good, though. Didn't play too much stuff off transgression (which I think is a good thing, because I was totally unimpressed with it on a whole) lots of stuff off Demanufacture, Obsolete and SOANM.

Soilwork played a really good set, also. I got to meet and speak with Speed Strid (vox) after their set, while FF was setting up. I've been a big fan of theirs since Steelbath Suicide

SYL was awesome also-- same namecalling they always do. Someone threw a hat and it hit Devin while he was singing, so he stopped and put it on and finished the song. Then he went on a tirade about how the guy was a loser and was going to spend the rest of his life counting things (it was a hat for some financial company) "and now i've got your ugly {censored}ing hat!" funny bastard.

Never had heard Darkane before, but they reminded me a bit of Nevermore with the way the vocalist's voice sounded.

Anyway, awesome show. Next up is Cave-In and Doomriders in Dec. w00t.

• Members

Awesome show when it came here. Soilwork is always amazing live. During Strapping Young Lad, they started playing "Love?" and all of a sudden this drunk-ass mother{censored}er just ran up to the fence (I was front and center) and slammed into me... started grabbing me, throwing me around, screaming out the lyrics to me, spilling beer everywhere. I look over and it's the singer of Lamb Of God. Cool as hell.

I don't know if you noticed but Soilwork and Darkane played with no stage amps; guitars were going through Behringer emulators.

• Members

i did notice that. darkane had cabs on stage, but i think they were for SYL, since they got moved off after syl completed their set.

my one really big gripe was that the drums during soilwork sounded like {censored}. it sounded like they had one kick mic'd but not the other.

• Members

i'd heard raymond stopped using triggers-- there's a thing on SYL's site about gene doing a soundcheck with FF because raymond was missing and that using his DW kick pedals was like having midgets holding them up saying "try and kick THIS"

i found the article that i read-- it said he no longer uses as many triggers live; the majority of the drum sound is him with limited triggering whereas before, he used them on lots of things.

• Members

I dunno, that kick sound I heard surely didn't sound like any natural kick drum, and there were no mics on the front of the kit at our show. Unless he's mic'ing the beater side right where the beater hits, and using a metal plate or something, I think they're still triggered.

• Members

They did their usual "play the first two songs off each CD" but added in a few bonus tracks. I was amazed with the way they finished... I've never heard them play that live before, and I've seen them probably a dozen times. Amazing.

I just wish they'd get their stage presence back to the way it was while Dino was back in the band.

• Members

A "trigger" is a device you place on a drum (or anything, really, but we'll limit this to drums) that activates ("triggers") a sound sample, usually on a sampler or drum brain.

large_1.1.13.3.3-20-5.jpg

This is a Roland tom trigger. It clamps onto the rim. When the drum is hit, it senses the vibration, and sends a signal to a sampler or drum brain. The sampler then plays back a prerecorded signal, usually sent out to the PA. Most triggers actually sit on the drum head, or have a part that touches a drum head; this one picks it up from the rim, which kinda sucks, but is the easiest to picture.

triggersetup.jpg

There's my rack that I use with my kit. All the triggers on my kit connect via 1/4" cables to the MIDI converter (the grey box in the top left corner of the drawer). This plugs into the sampler (right side). The sampler has the audio samples of the drums on it. That goes into the Behringer mixer (bottom left). The left side of the mixer goes into the 31-band EQ, into the Yamaha 2000W poweramp, and into two Avatar 2x10 cabinets which I use as my drum monitor. The right side of the mixer goes to the PA.

Using triggers means you don't have to mic things, which means there are less open mics on stage. It also means I sound the same consistently every single night; there's no worrying about the soundman using {censored}ty mics or {censored}ty technique, no worry that the drum has gone out of tune all of a sudden, etc. My toms are velocity-sensitive (the harder I play, the louder the triggered sound comes out); I use my kick in a linear mode, where no matter how hard I hit it, the sample comes out the same level. This makes up for my sloppy kick playing. :)

Hope that helps.

• Members

ahh, interesting. I'd guess that really opens up some interesting possibilities for the drummer. I'd heard of them used on kick drums only and the picture in my head was more like a switch on the kick drum pedal that sense when you're hitting it so that the kick hits the drum with exactly the same force every time. This however seems much better seeing as you can still do what I just described as well as some other cool stuff. You learn something new every day huh?

• Members

Originally posted by Mofopotomus

ahh, interesting. I'd guess that really opens up some interesting possibilities for the drummer. I'd heard of them used on kick drums only and the picture in my head was more like a switch on the kick drum pedal that sense when you're hitting it so that the kick hits the drum with exactly the same force every time. This however seems much better seeing as you can still do what I just described as well as some other cool stuff. You learn something new every day huh?

Yep! :) A lot of people assume that if a drummer uses triggers, it's "cheating", like he's not doing the same amount of work or something. They don't help you play any faster or anything, it just provides a more consistent sound, and sometimes just a sound you can't really get with a normal bass drum.

For the covers band I'm in, it means I can change my kick sound between songs to sound like the kick does in the actual recording. I've only done it for a few different songs, but it's nice hearing a difference when you're playing a country song (lots of bass, little click) or when you're playing something heavier (with lots of click, little bass). Not that anyone in the crowd probably notices or gives a {censored}.

• Members

Originally posted by Zeromus-X

A "trigger" is a device you place on a drum (or anything, really, but we'll limit this to drums) that activates ("triggers") a sound sample, usually on a sampler or drum brain.

large_1.1.13.3.3-20-5.jpg

This is a Roland tom trigger. It clamps onto the rim. When the drum is hit, it senses the vibration, and sends a signal to a sampler or drum brain. The sampler then plays back a prerecorded signal, usually sent out to the PA. Most triggers actually sit on the drum head, or have a part that touches a drum head; this one picks it up from the rim, which kinda sucks, but is the easiest to picture.

triggersetup.jpg

There's my rack that I use with my kit. All the triggers on my kit connect via 1/4" cables to the MIDI converter (the grey box in the top left corner of the drawer). This plugs into the sampler (right side). The sampler has the audio samples of the drums on it. That goes into the Behringer mixer (bottom left). The left side of the mixer goes into the 31-band EQ, into the Yamaha 2000W poweramp, and into two Avatar 2x10 cabinets which I use as my drum monitor. The right side of the mixer goes to the PA.

Using triggers means you don't have to mic things, which means there are less open mics on stage. It also means I sound the same consistently every single night; there's no worrying about the soundman using {censored}ty mics or {censored}ty technique, no worry that the drum has gone out of tune all of a sudden, etc. My toms are velocity-sensitive (the harder I play, the louder the triggered sound comes out); I use my kick in a linear mode, where no matter how hard I hit it, the sample comes out the same level. This makes up for my sloppy kick playing.
:)

Hope that helps.

you have a very large rat beside your rack

:D

Archived