DAOTD: Gov't BCS Edition

burdizzos

• Members

Congress to look into 'deeply flawed' BCS system

I think the BCS is stupid, but how is this a function of gov't?

This is even more ridiculous than the MLB steroid hearings. At least there was illegal activity in that case.

That said, I'm in favor of a college football playoff system that uses the current BCS ranking system and takes the top 16 teams to the party.

• Members

Originally posted by burdizzos

I think the BCS is stupid, but how is this a function of gov't?

Well, it says...

A House Energy and Commerce subcommittee, charged with regulating America's sports industry.

and

"College football is not just an exhilarating sport, but a billion-dollar business that Congress cannot ignore," said committee Chairman Joe Barton

Seems to make sense to me.

1) College Football is part of the Sports Industry.

2) Gov't regulates industry.

3) Gov't regulates College Football.

(btw, this is not even considering the fact that public universities are state schools)

If you had tons of money devoted into it, it would probably make more sense. I guess you could compare it to a band having an accountant.

"Why would a band need an accountant? What instrument does he play? Wait, how does he play a calculator?"

• Members

That's a stretch, but that never stopped gov't from butting in before.

If there was ever an industry that did not need to be regulated, it's the sports industry.

It's entertainment, nothing more.

The gov't doesn't pay for schools to have sports teams. The money invested comes from TV advertisements and stadium ticket sales.

The NCAA is the regulating authority for college football, not some cooked up House subcommittee with exactly zero Constitutional authority.

If one school wasn't getting its cut of a bowl game payout, then there would be an interstate commerce problem and the federal gov't would have the right to investigate.

Archived