Using a guitar compressor for bass..?

GorillaLover

• Members

Are they usually interchangeable? Or is there a noticeable difference with going for an actual "bass compressor"..

I was thinking of picking up another Tone Press... my Maxon CP-101 seems to work great for bass too.. so I figured there isn't a big difference....

• Members

Originally posted by GorillaLover

Are they usually interchangeable? Or is there a noticeable difference with going for an actual "bass compressor"..

I was thinking of picking up another Tone Press... my Maxon CP-101 seems to work great for bass too.. so I figured there isn't a big difference....

A compressor is a compressor, I don't think they have a preference, or are specific to certain instruments. I could be wrong, but I haven't seen any. They are used for all kinds of things like snares, vocals, you name it.

Hope this helps.

• Members

Bass compression benefits from slower attack so that the initial punch of the note comes through before the volume gets clamped off. Guitar compressors usually have a fixed attack that is pretty fast so that the note is clamped off right away.

Bass compressors (and rack/general-use compressors) often have a variable attack controlled with a knob. Bass compressors also tend to use a LED/LDR (light-emitting-diode/light-dependent-resistor) component, rather than a transistor, to achieve the compression effect. The LED/LDR reacts a little slower and a little more smoothly, lending a naturally bass-friendly compression curve.

I would recommend a bass-specific compressor or a rack-mount compressor. You will probably find that a guitar compressor will hurt your sound or at the least, will not help it.

Archived