OT: Any Sheetrockers out there?

Phantasm

• Members

I've been looking around for a while and I figured it's worth a shot to ask here... usually no matter what I have a question about, someone here has some expertise on the subject.

I've been doing the drywall in my kitchen thanks to the hurricane, and I'll be continuing to the other rooms of my downstairs. I've been doing my three coats (thank God for 90 minute Sheetrock Mud) and I've got some questions regarding texturing.

I bought a Texture-Pro hopper gun from Home Depot. It's made by Wal-Board I think. I'm planning to spray on the texture.

We cut the sheetrock between 2 and 4 feet high in most areas and the remaining wallboard is all painted and has a texture on it.

So the questions remain:

1) For the wallboard that is new, does it need to be primed before spraying on the texture?

2) When the texture dries, does it need to be primed again before painting it?

3) For the sections of wall that have paint/texture already, what do I need to do to prepare them? I know I can't match the texture, so I'm planning to retexture the whole wall.

4) Do I need to prime the already painted sections of the wall before retexturing?

5) Any other advice?

Thanks to all. You have no idea what the advice will be worth. It probably costs about 5 times the cost in your area right now to get anything done because of the hurricane!

• Members

Wow, texturing and, well, drywall stuff altogether generally sucks. It's pretty basic though, they have a lot of texturing products, (i.e. dry mix and texture guns) available all over the place so it's much easier than it used to be. Don't worry about priming before texturing, priming is so that paint will stick to the surface that you're painting so you only need to prime right before you paint. Bummer you have to go through this suff, how's everything else down there? In CA, we're pretty insulated from what you guys are going through...at least until the next big quake or flood comes. :freak:

• Members

The only thing you may want to consider is that there may be some staining on the old finish that may bleed through the new paint. you may want to consider using a stain blocking primer like KILZ before you apply a finish coat. I assume you will be using a flat paint, so this is the only concern that comes to mind. If you are using a satin, eggshell or other semigloss paint, the primmer will ensure a uniform finish. Good luck.

• Members

Originally posted by Emprov

Bummer you have to go through this suff, how's everything else down there?

It's certainly different after the storm. There are several areas of the city that area just destroyed really and probably need to be flattened, but everyone's arguing about that. The worst in my opinion are areas like mine where we just got enough water to make a huge mess that now has to be cleaned.

A lot of regular businesses can't keep workers because there's nowhere for them to stay. This means that if you want to eat, you have limited choices after about 7:30pm.

There's no music scene - at all. Nobody has time to go out. We play shows in Baton Rouge or another surrounding town, but I don't know of anywhere other than The Cypress Hall (all ages) that still has New Orleans shows, and that's in Metairie. Also, most of the practice rooms in town flooded.

The city's in a hard spot because they need tourists but at the same time the more tourists come the more the perception is that the situation here is improving. In a lot of areas outside of downtown it's not.

• Members

1. Yes, it needs to be primed. 2. No. 3. Scrape as much of the old texture off as you can. Use a garden hoe that had been straightened out or, a regular scraper. Maybe a block sander, as well. You don't need primer if the rock hasn't been wet. Kilz if it has. 4. No, its optional. 5. You Must make sure all the mold is dead before you hang the rock. If not you will have even more problems than you do now. Use a solution of half water/half clorine bleach (like Clorox) to spray all the areas you are going to cover up. Good luck to you. Wear a dust mask when sanding the seams.

• Members

The texture comes in different sizes, you may can match your original up pretty close. Mix the paint with the texture, and you should only have to spray one medium coat. Clean the gun out as soon as you finish with it.

• Members

Originally posted by Phantasm

Thanks to all. You have no idea what the advice will be worth. It probably costs about 5 times the cost in your area right now to get anything done because of the hurricane!

I feel for you there.

I used to run a construction company (fire sprinkler, however)- I've got plenty of old contacts who could answer your questions thoroughly.

I'll check back- if you don't have any answers that meet with your satisfaction, I'll ring them on Monday.

• Members

Originally posted by Cortfan

1. Yes, it needs to be primed. 2. No. 3. Scrape as much of the old texture off as you can. Use a garden hoe that had been straightened out or, a regular scraper. Maybe a block sander, as well. You don't need primer if the rock hasn't been wet. Kilz if it has. 4. No, its optional. 5. You Must make sure all the mold is dead before you hang the rock. If not you will have even more problems than you do now. Use a solution of half water/half clorine bleach (like Clorox) to spray all the areas you are going to cover up. Good luck to you. Wear a dust mask when sanding the seams.

The texture that's there is subtle, but it doesn't want to peel off the wall too easily. Think it would work out if I sanded it down and then retextured the whole wall with orange peel?

Also when you say to mix the paint with the texture, is that primer or the regular paint?

• Members

It's easy to get the old texture off if you just use a spray bottle with plain old water to mist the old texture until its just good and damp. Use a 6"blade sheetrock knife to scrape it off. Just be sure to give the water time enough to soften the old stuff before scraping.

no need to prime unless it's stained. You can use Kilz if the sheetrock is badly stained but aluminum paint works better.

It's a messy job but not really very hard to do.

• 2 years later...
  • Members

you may mix the primer with the texture mud compound so you could get both out of the way at the same time. but make sure is soft enought to spray correctly . if you need assistants give me a call 323-552-7974 for a quote ask for Cesar, im curently in the New Orleans area,. One of the few trying to rebuilt the city from the huricane damage

• Members

Wow, it's my thread, but two years old! Man, this brings back some memories...

Thanks for the contact, though. My neighbor is still trying to rebuild as he was stopped by a contractor that took his money and skipped town. I'll pass your info on to him if he asks!

Archived