Strong Fingers

LateGreats

• Members

Just keep practicing on the one finger per fret technique, string skipping, and holding chords...and keep working on that spread.

I don't those artificial finger strength gadgets; as they will make your fingers stronger for "using them" not your bass. You want to develope strength + dexterity at the same time, this happens naturally with practice.

• Members

Chromatic fingers exercises.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 1 2 3 4

- - - - - - - - - - 1 2 3 4 - - - - -

- - - - - 1 2 3 4 - - - - - - - - - -

1 2 3 4 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Going across the fretboard up to the 12th fret. Then alternate 2-3-4-1 / 3-4-2-1 / 4-1-2-3.

Start at 60 BPM and go up at intervals of 10 BPM up to about 120 BPM (for a beginner). You are playing 1/8 notes here (semiquavers for us UKers) that is, 2 notes per beat.

• Members

When I first started playing back in the dark ages, I'd walk around all day with a gripmaster in my hand. (Go to musiciansfriend.com and put "gripmaster" in the search field).

Also work on apreggios and test yourself by learning some songs that require strength and stretching ie. Tom Sawyer (Rush) Pulling Teeth (Metallica)..yes, I was a metal head when I first started! If you're working on strength, stay away from falling back on playing notes in the open position.

• Members

I use to set my action high and play it like that. Once it became easy, I lowered the action and found that my strength and speed both increased. I like my basses action really low now so that I don't have to fret hard..It's all about fatigue and ergonomics now. The less work I have to do to play equals longer playing times and less stress on my fretting hand.

• Members

To strenghten your pinky, first you must understand that most of your strenght and control on that finger comes from the same muscles that control your third (ring) finger. You must isolate the pinky to really strenghten it and gain independence.

There's a simple excercise I use for that - I may have gotten it from the Bass Fitness book mentioned above, not sure.

1. Choose any fret, somewhere in the middle of the neck. 5th is a good choice. Anchor your index and middle fingers on the 5th and 6th frets of the G string. Anchor your ring finger on the 7th fret of the D string. Anchor your pinky on the 8th fret of the G string.

Then do a trill (repeated hammer-on/pull-off) of the G string with your pinky and your middle finger. Keep your ring finger anchored on the D string, out of the way but firmly on the string.

This is a lot harder than it sounds (nearly impossible at first!) but will get your pinky equal to your other three fingers pretty quickly.:wave:

• Members

Practice properly, try placing your fingers next to the fret, the note is formed when the string touches the metal, by placing your finger next to it you will find that you need little pressure to form the note likewise if you fret in the middle or closer to the other fret a lot more pressure is required. You will also find that with lighter pressure on the string stretching your fingers are a lot easier

Archived