USB Flashdrives

Kaesh

• Members

Which one should I get? I need a 1 gig one.

Are they all pretty much the same? What is a decent value for the read/write speeds? I need it for use pretty much as a portable hard drive (I will run apps from it, not just move data).

• Members

Make sure you've got a 2.0...Other than that, buy which ever one is on sale at Staples/Office Depot/Circuit City/Best Buy...Any of the brands they carry are fine...

Note though, I have a Lexar (with the aforementioned rubber things) and the way it's built prevents me from using it with recessed ports...So a "skinny" one is better...

Pictures for illustration:

Fat:

mem_lexar_JD_secure.jpg

usb_128.jpg

The width of the body so close to the jack prevents it from fitting in some spaces...

Most drives don't have this (even Lexar has abandoned it), but it's a potential issue that would never cross the mind of most folks...

• Members

Originally posted by King Kashue

Make sure you've got a 2.0...Other than that, buy which ever one is on sale at Staples/Office Depot/Circuit City/Best Buy...Any of the brands they carry are fine...

Note though, I have a Lexar (with the aforementioned rubber things) and the way it's built prevents me from using it with recessed ports...So a "skinny" one is better...

+1

My first one was fat as hell. Not a problem ninety percent of the time, but that extra ten percent could come back to bite you in the ass. The one I use now is no wider than the actual USB port.

• Members

Originally posted by King Kashue

Pictures for illustration:

Fat:

mem_lexar_JD_secure.jpg
usb_128.jpg

The width of the body so close to the jack prevents it from fitting in some spaces...

Most drives don't have this (even Lexar has abandoned it), but it's a potential issue that would never cross the mind of most folks...

Yep, I just returned a lexar because it wouldn't plug into 2 out of 2 things I tried it on. Nice design, idiots.

• Members

Originally posted by groutt

Yep, I just returned a lexar because it wouldn't plug into 2 out of 2 things I tried it on. Nice design, idiots.

I had issues with the Dells at Kinkos when I travelled...Considering it's the most popular computer brand in the US, you think they'd catch that...

• Members

I just saw an 8 gig (!) for 40 bucks after rebates at like comp usa or somthing. Crazy.

As someone mentioned in another post like this, don't get one with the attached lanyard on the cap. Design flaw when the expensive part comes up missing and you have a cap on a string.

Yo.

• Members

Originally posted by Apendecto

I just saw an 8 gig (!) for 40 bucks after rebates at like comp usa or somthing. Crazy.

As someone mentioned in another post like this, don't get one with the attached lanyard on the cap. Design flaw when the expensive part comes up missing and you have a cap on a string.

Yo.

Link or anything? Only 8-gig flash drives I've seen have been CF+ cards, and they're right around $250 bucks. I've seen a keydrive for $150 but they're pretty big.

• Members

Originally posted by groutt

It sucks, but I carry around a 1' USB extension cable in my car and backpack because I've got a 1gig Lexar drive like that. Many times it won't fit in the USB port, which sucks when you're at school and need to print something off it.

Mine's a 1st Gen drive, with the Secure partition... it's got this fun "quirk" that any computer I plug it into in one of the computer labs immediately reboots itself. Only that one lab, which has different computers than the others (they're Gateway systems, relatively new, P4... dont' know the models). No matter what one I plug into, though, it's the touch of death.

• Members

Originally posted by Zeromus-X

Link or anything? Only 8-gig flash drives I've seen have been CF+ cards, and they're right around $250 bucks. I've seen a keydrive for $150 but they're pretty big.

I'll see if I can find the ad. I was pretty surprised too.

Yo.

• Members

Originally posted by SteveyDevey

Or, just avoid wearing it like it's jewelry.

I keep mine on my keyring, like the other 99.9% of flash drive users. My Verbatim drive had the only available opening on the cap; the body was a solid piece with nothing to attach to. By the time I lost it, I wanted a bigger one anyway... but I'd hate to lose a 1+ gig drive because it fell out of the cap. You can buy caps for $5 for a pack pretty much anywhere if you lose it.

• Members
Originally posted by Zeromus-X

I keep mine on my keyring, like the other 99.9% of flash drive users. My Verbatim drive had the only available opening on the cap; the body was a solid piece with nothing to attach to. By the time I lost it, I wanted a bigger one anyway... but I'd hate to lose a 1+ gig drive because it fell out of the cap. You can buy caps for $5 for a pack pretty much anywhere if you lose it.

I don't keep mine on anything. It stays in a little compartment in my backpack. I wouldn't want it getting killed smashed around with my keys, or worse, lost. Mine's a 512MB that I got last xmas, and I don't get as much use out of it as I thought I would. I only ever need to transfer things from my desktop, laptop and my girlfriend's computer. Our desktops are networked at her house, and my laptop has a very out-of-the-way plug, that's a pain to get to. So, I don't transfer much. I do use it for taking things back and forth to my guitarist-friend's house though. But, he has one too, and we usually use that one.

• Members

Originally posted by SteveyDevey

I don't keep mine on anything. It stays in a little compartment in my backpack. I wouldn't want it getting killed smashed around with my keys, or worse, lost. Mine's a 512MB that I got last xmas, and I don't get as much use out of it as I thought I would. I only ever need to transfer things from my desktop, laptop and my girlfriend's computer. Our desktops are networked at her house, and my laptop has a very out-of-the-way plug, that's a pain to get to. So, I don't transfer much. I do use it for taking things back and forth to my guitarist-friend's house though. But, he has one too, and we usually use that one.

Those USB-things are hard to kill, man.

They showed it on a TV-programme here a while back.

Smashed a brick on it, drove over it in a car, left it in water for a week.. still worked like a charm.

• Members

Originally posted by T. Alan Smith

Okay, I gotta ask-

What are these FOR exactly:confused:

I mean, I understand playing MP3s, but just how many Excel or Word files do you really NEED to carry 'round witcha anyway???

I use mine primarily for work. I've got all our system restore files, diagnostic tools, stuff like that on it. That way, I can just plug it into a customer's computer and go. Since it doesn't need drivers, it's convenient. It's also good when I need to back up their stuff and they don't have a CD burner. Especially if the only way in is to boot to BartPE or some other preinstall environment.

Aside from that, mine's got all my papers for school on it (though I keep them backed up on my computer, too), any programs I'm working on, and a couple MP3s. Mine doesn't play MP3s or anything, but I can stick it in a computer at school and plug some headphones into the system.

• Members

Okay, I gotta ask-

I mean, I understand playing MP3s, but just how many Excel or Word files do you really NEED to carry 'round witcha anyway???

I need one so I have an alternative of playing online poker at the univ library to drinking at the pub during breaks between classes :D

• Members

Okay, I gotta ask-

I use it to transfer programs mainly, but it is indespensible for saving bandtracks you recorded at a friends house and need to take with you instead of wasting time making a CD with only a few megs of tracks on it. :thu:

MUCH faster also.

Archived