"Loose" fret..

Peaveyherman

• Members

Today i noticed the 3rd fret on my G-V has popped up at the side of the neck,on the G string.It's causing quite a loud and annoying buzz.I'm thinking i can fix it by masking off the fretboard around the fret,then heating the fret with a soldering iron to loosen the glue and tapping it back into place...

So...anyone think this will work?Does someone know a better way?

I would like the forum to make the final veto because i've never tried anything like this before.

Thanks fellas.

• Members

The problem is not that there is loose glue in the fret slot, but that the fretboard is aging, shrinking, and pulling away from the frets. So heating it won't work, even if the frets were glued in to begin with.

A common solution is this:

Use some thin cyanoacrylate glue and trickle it into the fret slot (or use a needle and syringe for more accurate placement). Immediately apply pressure to the loose end of the fret with a screwdriver or other metal shim (if you put your finger against it you'll glue your finger in place). This may work but depending on the inherent bending of the fret you may not be able to keep it down. But try this first before anything else.

• Members

Originally posted by bassmanatlarge

Yes, that's where to start for a quick fix. It'll do no harm and will likely work in the short term. A good technician would remove the fret, reinstall it with superglue and redress the frets, but that's not cheep.

Thanks for the help guys..:thu:

Hmm...what should taking it to a tech cost?

Actually,what does a compelet fret job cost?

• Members

Originally posted by Peaveyherman

Thanks for the help guys..
:thu:
Hmm...what should taking it to a tech cost?

Actually,what does a compelet fret job cost?

Depends, in my experience usually between $150-350 depending on time and experience, also if there is extensive fretboard dressing needed (which might be necessary if you had multiple fret ends popping up). Some luthiers will install frets with a wider tang to compensate for this, though.

Where are you located?

• Members

Originally posted by BigPigPeaches

Depends, in my experience usually between $150-350 depending on time and experience, also if there is extensive fretboard dressing needed (which might be necessary if you had multiple fret ends popping up). Some luthiers will install frets with a wider tang to compensate for this, though.

Where are you located?

$350 is approaching the price i paid for it..i may just try it to do something about it myself...

Do you know of any good online resources for fret work?

BTW,I'm in northern ohio.

Archived