Building a bass, need pickup advice

pariah223

• Members

Hey everyone.

I am building a bass guitar, self designed, but influenced a little by fender and wal. I am a guitar player, but have already built electric guitars, and now i want to build a bass and learn to play it. I am however complelty clueless on bass pickups. I know the difference between active and passive, but thats about it. SO my request is that you guys post some opinions as well as any 'facts' you know about bass pickups that will help me in my choice. The music i like to play and will be playing on this is metal/hardcore as well as some rock and blues. So a pickup with some versitility is ideal. So throw some stuff at me and ill look into them.. thanks!

• Members

The "P" pups are fine. A lot depends on where you are placeing them. For punch, go near to the bridge, for warmth , centre. The choice of "P" or "Soapbar" is very personal. As for versatility, IMHO you can only get full versatility with actives. The most versatile is with active tone controls as opposed to active pups.

• Members

Active cicuitry requires a pre amp, the only extra knobs are if you are going for a three band eq. Theere are two distinct types of actives, if you just have active pups then all the power goes to the pups, with active cicuitry its the tone pots that receive the power, allowing you to cut or boost the bass/treble/mids. The active tone are the most versatile. But they also require more electronics, which means cutting out a cavity in the back to hous the board/battery and componants. The EMG's come ready wired.

• Members

You couldn't go wrong with a lot of peoples pickups.

Seymore Duncan

Bartaloni

Rio Grand

etc.

Your decision would be what kind you want. There's really only a few different kinds. P, Jazz, Humbuckers, Music Man humbucker.

They all sound good but different. If you can play some it might help you out. I play a P in the center and a J stacked humbucker in the neck and it's very versitile.

Yo.

• Members

Originally posted by Spectorman

Active cicuitry requires a pre amp, the only extra knobs are if you are going for a three band eq. Theere are two distinct types of actives, if you just have active pups then all the power goes to the pups, with active cicuitry its the tone pots that receive the power, allowing you to cut or boost the bass/treble/mids. The active tone are the most versatile. But they also require more electronics, which means cutting out a cavity in the back to hous the board/battery and componants. The EMG's come ready wired.

are the ready wired emg controls sufficent enough for good control? 2 knobs dont seem like enough to have a decent amount of control considering that one is volume.

• Members

It seems youre focusing too much on just having lots of nobs. With an extensive active preamp, you'd most likely have a pickup balance pot, a cut/boost treble, bass, and mid(maybe a mid freq selector) and finally a volume pot.

In my experience with both active and passive basses, i dont think i would ever buy an active bass for the sake of "having more knobs". I have an Ibanez srx700 with a balance, volume, bass, and treble pots and for the most part everything stays flat. The main control i use to change my sound is the pickup balancer.

IMO, 2 well placed pickups give you all the tonal variation you need. I find my jazz bass to be quite versatile with its 2 volume controls a treble cut.

Decide what you want the bass to do, then go about figuring out what that will require. Just thinking "well 2 knobs arent enough" isnt a good way of going about things.

• Members

The emg active pickups have the preamp built in. The passive tone control does suck for sure. If you're using the p pickup by itself, you might want to add the btc or bts eq (bass/treble concentric or seperate). If you use dual pups like pj or jazz set, you may be satisfied with just 2 volumes and let the pups give the tone you want.

Archived