Loud bass Cabinet.

btb&dr=tone

• Members
Originally posted by xXSOURCEXx

So would taking my front mounted ported 18' and building a folded horn cabinet be louder??

It might be a little bit louder, but what I think you'll discover is, if you build the cab to the proper specs, you'll have alot more bass and it will sound more CLEAR.

The bigger the cab, the better bass response you'll get. I don't know much about rear-mounted folded cabs, though, so if I'm wrong, somebody correct me.

Building cabs is fun, too. :D
C7

• Members

2) it really throws the sound way out in front of the cabinet - it is my understanding that the volume really starts to pick up at about 16 feet in front of the cabinet...It's great for playing loud gigs at small-medium clubs with no PA support for the instruments.

-Yools

This is key. Sound men generally do not like long-throw cabs at gigs where bass is run thru the PA. You can't hear yourself on stage, but you're killing the audience 20 feet out, and making it harder for the engineer to get a good mix.

I do agree that there's really no other sound like 2 EV 15-Ls facing each other, 8 inches apart, with the sound shooting out the folds of an Ampeg V4B cab. Very round, a little compressed-sounding, and huge. Think Geddy on Farewell to Kings.

As far as loud cabinets, the Aguilar GS412 is a loud bastage. Chewed up my (ex) Ampeg 810 and spit it out, in any way you'd care to mention.

• Members

Originally posted by Apendecto

Is the the rear firing speaker housed? In that picture it looks like it's out in the open, but it could very well have something over it.

In any event the sound hits the back of the cab and bounces around through all these sound chambers and then shoots out like a cannon? Am I close?

Yo.

The speaker is facing the BACK of the cabinet. Think of the front inside of the cabinet as a big "W" on its side (rotate counterclockwise 90 degrees). The speaker is centered at the mid-point (on a separate board) and fires the sound toward the back, and the "W" baffles bounce the sound out toward the front. The bass signals take several feet to fully develop, and the "W" folded horn helps develop it before it fires out. It also (I don't know the physics involved) seems to throw the signal out much farther than a traditional front-loaded cabinet.

I'll look for a visual aid.

There are other designs, but the "W" was very popular in the 70's and 80's.

Archived