AC30 for bass

lecale

• Members

I have an AC30CC2. I was wondering how good of a bass amp it would make if I ran it into an external bass cabinet. I play guitar obviously, but I'm going to be buying my friend's bass, and I don't want to buy a dedicated bass amp yet.

• Members

Originally posted by lecale

I have an AC30CC2. I was wondering how good of a bass amp it would make if I ran it into an external bass cabinet. I play guitar obviously, but I'm going to be buying my friend's bass, and I don't want to buy a dedicated bass amp yet.

As long as you're going to be playing through an external cab so the internal speaker is muted, it should sound OK...or maybe a bit blah.

Even with bass cabs, guitar amps may not be the best for bass depending on their voicing. The AC-30 may be a bit rolled-off in the bass. Also, 30 watts on bass won't go too far, but if it's for practice, it'll work.

Will you break anything doing it this way? No. Will it sound OK? Maybe, depending on what you're doing.

Dustin

• Members

When I first switched to bass I tried playing through my '76 Fender Twin Reverb into a separate cab. It worked, but it sounded awful. I immediately started looking for a bass amp. I also played through a '68 Fender Bassman which is usually considered a great guitar amp and a poor bass amp. It was a better bass amp than I expected and I used it for about four months before I got my GK 700RB, which is a great amp!

• Members

I prefer the bass tone through my Fender Hot Rod Deville guitar amp over anything else in my arsenal... and I play through a DEMETER rig!!!

Guess it depends on the amp, but a Deville into an Avatar 2x10 is great bedroom bass tone to my ears. :love:

• Members

Originally posted by Deville

I prefer the bass tone through my Fender Hot Rod Deville guitar amp over anything else in my arsenal... and I play through a DEMETER rig!!!

Guess it depends on the amp, but a Deville into an Avatar 2x10 is great bedroom bass tone to my ears.
:love:

My 65 Champ is extremely sweet for recording.

• Members

When I first got a bass I asked the same question here. I was hoping to run it through the AC30 at low room type volume. Most everyone said it was a bad idea to play through the speakers so I never even tried.

Time to just bite the bullit and get a bass amp!!!!! JMHO

• Members

Originally posted by Timmylikesthing

Didn't Paul McCartney use an AC30 on bass?

It'll work. But make sure you don't play through the stock speakers or you will fry them. With a bass cabinet there should be no problems.

Tim

I'm pretty sure those were called the Vox Super Beatle or maybe AC-100's but never an AC-30 for bass.

• Members

Originally posted by Boomer

I'm pretty sure those were called the Vox Super Beatle or maybe AC-100's but never an AC-30 for bass.

I could have sworn I just saw something about him using a vox ss amp but it sounded like turd so he got an AC30 when they got a deal. It could've been a super beatle though, I'm not sure.

• Members

Paul's first Vox amp was the T-60, one of the first solid-state bass amps ever made. Paul was also one of the first to recieve the said amp. Up until then he used a Barber 'Quad' amp with a Barber 'Coffin' cab.

• Members

Oh yeah, wait. I know what you're talking about now! The T-60 would regularly blow up and Mal Evans had to fix it, so when the lads recieved their new AC-30s in April '63, Paul also got an AC-30 bass head specially modified at the factory to amplify bass guitars. Only a handful of those were ever made and even fewer survived till today.

• Members

SB....whatever happened to the suitcase that was auctioned off and turned out to be one that belonged to Mal Evans and turned out it had some John and Paul rehearsal tapes of We Can Work It Out.

I always thought he had them saved as his 'retirement' plan after they were found in his trunk when he was murdered.

• Members

Originally posted by SoundwaveLove

guitar amps typically have some sort of highpass/bandpass in their circuit. Your not gonna get much low undertones.

Run a Hot Rod Deville through a good 2x10 and tell me there's a high pass filter on it.

Killer tone... totally killer.

• Members

Originally posted by Slats

SB....whatever happened to the suitcase that was auctioned off and turned out to be one that belonged to Mal Evans and turned out it had some John and Paul rehearsal tapes of We Can Work It Out.

I always thought he had them saved as his 'retirement' plan after they were found in his trunk when he was murdered.

It was bought by a dude at a flea market around 100 km from Melbourne!!!!!!!!!!! For 30 bucks!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Archived