Active or passive?

btb&dr=tone

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I prefer passive - here's why.

Active basses always seem artificially "hot" to me...probably because there was no such thing when I started playing. The downside of the higher output is - with the level cranked like that, there's a point you get to in your playing where no matter how hard you dig in, it doesn't get louder...in essence to me it feels like playing through a limiter.

Thereare other reasons, but that's the number one reason I prefer a passive bass.

• Members

I love the active electronics in my Cirrus. Just to say passive basses sound better than active basses really dismisses a bunch of very nice basses as well as some of the top builders in the world.

I also love the sound out of my passive P-bass. Just two different sounds.

Play both types then pick the bass that best talks to you.

• Members

Originally posted by bnyswonger

I prefer passive - here's why.

Active basses always seem artificially "hot" to me...probably because there was no such thing when I started playing. The downside of the higher output is - with the level cranked like that, there's a point you get to in your playing where no matter how hard you dig in, it doesn't get louder...in essence to me it feels like playing through a limiter.

Thereare other reasons, but that's the number one reason I prefer a passive bass.

did they even have amps (or electricity for that matter) when you started playing???

:D:D

Archived