rat sound clips anyone?

tim_1002

• Members

the rat2 sounds good, but I like the turbo rat much better. I used to use the turbo all the time for my distortion, but I had the Deuctone which has all the different rats on it. Its just a dirty distortion, it sounds good but I don't use it anymore. In Zao's album City of God I swear their bassist is using the turbo rat, you can hear it pretty good. Sorry don't have any clips of me using it.

• Members

Originally posted by Apendecto

I think it sounds sweet. Drops the lows on bass.

Listen to any song off of Aenima by Tool to hear the awesome distortion.

Yo.

hmmm... so the rat drops lows?

Droplaw621, can you describe why the turborat sounds better than a normal rat? i'm looking for something different than a big muff.

sound clips anyone?

• Members

I have RAT 2 (don't know what year it's from, I bought it used) which I haven't tried on bass yet for some reason. Mainly because it's soooo wonderful on guitar :love:. For me it's the ultimate metal guitar dist pedal - aggressive, clear, dynamic, breathing... Quite old school as opposed to modern commercial crap.

Do you want me to present a clip of it on guitar or bass? Direct line or mic'ed?

(Personally I think it would be best to keep guitar distortions and bass distortions separate... I'm kinda GASsing for Fulltone Bassdrive.)

• Members

The Turbo RAT is thicker and juicier. It has more harmonic overtones and a nice happy or musical distortion.

Emotional Fortification - Turbo RAT on Bartolini Humbucker equipped bass. Medium setting. Better mixing would bring it out more in the mix too.

I am sure a cranked RAT or RAT2 could come close to this sound, as I am not using half of what the Turbo can do!

• Members

Originally posted by Moody Johnny

I have RAT 2 (don't know what year it's from, I bought it used) which I haven't tried on bass yet for some reason. Mainly because it's soooo wonderful on guitar
:love:
. For me it's the ultimate metal guitar dist pedal - aggressive, clear, dynamic, breathing... Quite old school as opposed to modern commercial crap.

Do you want me to present a clip of it on guitar or bass? Direct line or mic'ed?

(Personally I think it would be best to keep guitar distortions and bass distortions separate... I'm kinda GASsing for Fulltone Bassdrive.)

Rat2 on bass would be great. thanks man!

• Members

Originally posted by Benjamin

The Turbo RAT is thicker and juicier. It has more harmonic overtones and a nice happy or musical distortion.

Emotional Fortification
- Turbo RAT on Bartolini Humbucker equipped bass. Medium setting. Better mixing would bring it out more in the mix too.

I am sure a cranked RAT or RAT2 could come close to this sound, as I am not using half of what the Turbo can do!

good clip dude :thu:

has this sound which a pd-7 will never capture. haha i think i'm gonna be the guy with 3 dirt boxes and no choruses.

• Members

Originally posted by tim_1002

Rat2 on bass would be great. thanks man!

Ok, here's the opening riff of Ministry song "Lava" played twice, in two different settings. First, distortion knob is relatively low and filter knob (which filters out the treble) on 12 o'clock. Then on the fly I put filter knob to max and the distortion knob to 12 o'clock. The volume knob (which does affect the character of distortion) is constantly on max thus providing some further beefiness. Recorded straight line-in. No additional EQing whatsoever after the Rat itself.

RAT2 sample - Lava

• Members

demo

this song starts out with my rat on. i also kick it on at the end.

the signal goes p-bass with SD QP->Comp->Rat-oc3(off)->de7(off)->m80(eq flat color on)->800rb-di into mixer.

this is a really rough demo. the gain on the rat is 10-11'o clock and the filter is between 1-3 o'clock.

Archived