Bass neck tension? (Q's about removing strings to do internal repair)

MIDIstruction

• Members

Recently a friend of mine needed to borrow my bass for some important recording session or something, and for the time being I'm using his cheapo Epi bass. Unfortunately for me this Epi bass hums like nobody's business, and won't stop unless my hand is touching the metal shield around the guitar cable's jack where it goes into the imput. It may stop the buzzing and humming, but having only one hand free to play bass is pretty impossible, so I've decided to go inside it and have a look around. I figure I can shield the inside of the pickgaurd and use that to ground, or put a solder lug somewhere in the cavity and use that as a ground. Either way, I'm going to need to take all of the strings off of this bass and have them off for a while whilst I'm figuring out how to make the noise stop.

Now I've heard when you're changing the strings of a guitar it's best to do them one at a time, because by taking them all off at once it could eventually damage the neck, not having enough tension, and I imagine this may be even more of an issue with a bass neck. I was planning on swapping out the existing rusted-up strings on the Epi anyway, but I'm worried that by having all of them off at once is going to cause irreversable damage to my friend's bass. It may be a hunk of junk, but it's not my hunk of junk you know?

Anyway, I was just wondering 1) is this going to be an issue?, 2) if it is an issue, how long do you think I have before it starts to become a problem, or should I avoid this all together?, and 3) is there a vice or something I can use to make this a nice clean and harmless procedure (I'm already going out of my way for an instrument that isn't mine, so I personally will probably not be investing in said device, I'm just curious)

Thanks guys.

• Members

When I change guitar or bass strings I cut them off one at a time. The only exception is an archtop with a floating bridge where I do them one at a time so the bridge stays in place. I've never damaged an instrument by removing all of the strings.

As for your noise problem, make sure the bridge is grounded.

• Members

Originally posted by misterhinkydink

When I change guitar or bass strings I cut them off one at a time. The only exception is an archtop with a floating bridge where I do them one at a time so the bridge stays in place. I've never damaged an instrument by removing all of the strings.

As for your noise problem, make sure the bridge is grounded.

+1

Archived