Favorite fretless basses?

mounds

• Members

Originally posted by HORSE

I didn't know Bartolini made active pickups. Do you mean you have an active preamp? If that's the case, my preference for Bartolini pickups has been to run them passive. Perhaps your preamp isn't doing the pickups justice?

Or perhaps the Barts just don't sound that great it your bass.

After a quick check with the manufacturer, you are right, the pickups are passive single coils, and the electronics are active(barts as well).

• Members

The nicest Fret-less Basses I've played were "Rickenbacker"!
The first one was a de-fretted 72' identical to the one I own sans-fretts. The other two were True Rick Fret-less Basses. Both were late 70's early 80's 4001FL's. The laquered fingerboards were so smooth and solidly straight as anything. And talk about Rick Growl!!!! Damn oh {censored} man. Fantastic tone.

• Members

Originally posted by theoriz

After a quick check with the manufacturer, you are right, the pickups are passive single coils, and the electronics are active(barts as well).

Yeah, that makes a bit more sense. I'm surprised that you don't like the sound that much with the Bart preamp, it's supposed to be a good preamp. Well, to each his own I guess.

• Members

Originally posted by HORSE

Yeah, that makes a bit more sense. I'm surprised that you don't like the sound that much with the Bart preamp, it's supposed to be a good preamp. Well, to each his own I guess.

It's not that I don't like the sound, I think it's great. Nice punchy mids AND rich harmonics and dynamics. As I said, the problem arises only when I boost the mids in high volumes. The manufacturer told me that this is a common problem with the bart preamp. He recommended changing to Aguilar.

• Members
Originally posted by theoriz

It's not that I don't like the sound, I think it's great. Nice punchy mids AND rich harmonics and dynamics. As I said, the problem arises only when I boost the mids in high volumes. The manufacturer told me that this is a common problem with the bart preamp. He recommended changing to Aguilar.

That's good to know. I'm building a fretless bass and I'm trying to choose the pickups/preamp. If I go Bartolini, I'll check out the Aggie preamp. :thu:

• Members

Just bought me a Modulus Quantum 5 lined fretless and I guess I love it... actually haven't been able to play it yet cause it's still at the shop out of town getting setup, but, yeah. :) It looks hot!

However, the Legend 5's are great basses. I'm gonna upgrade the pu'ps w/ some Barts I think, but the playability and feel is great. Killer deal for $600!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
Originally posted by Jamacuco

I am jealous.
:mad:
Still having the fretless fiver?

Nope, I traded my 5er for this one(I went to the UK for it), plus I got an extra fretless ebony neck with it, this is a rosewood neck.

• Members
Originally posted by 72Rick

The nicest Fret-less Basses I've played were "Rickenbacker"!

The first one was a de-fretted 72' identical to the one I own sans-fretts. The other two were True Rick Fret-less Basses. Both were late 70's early 80's 4001FL's. The laquered fingerboards were so smooth and solidly straight as anything. And talk about Rick Growl!!!! Damn oh {censored} man. Fantastic tone.

Wow!!! You like Rickenbackers??? Well colour me surprised... :D

Archived