Adjusting BTB action

Bud Ice Man

• Members

Yeah, I just have no idea how to adjust this things action. The Mono-rail II bridge(s) make it seem confusing, it's probably not. I can't find anything in the downloadable Bass manual on the wesite either.

Is the action set only from the truss rod, I don't think so. Please help. Thanks.

Mel.

• Members

I just had to put a "reverse shim" (there's probably a better term for it out there) in my BTB to get the action where I wanted it. I was having trouble avoiding upper-register fret buzz without huge ammounts of truss relief and medium-high action. I put a strip of non-corrugated cardboard cut from a radio shack adapter's packaging in the neck pocket at the point right before the heel starts curving for upper fret access. It has made a world of differance - I have been able to return the neck bow to where it should be and the action is down where it doesn't kill me so much when I play chords or tap (or both as I'm inclined to do in Wooten-inspired wanker mode).

Before you go following me and trying to stuff things in your neck pocket take a look at this site: http://www.weedhopper.org/Bass_Guitar_Setup.asp

Make sure you're neck bow is where it needs to be and then raise your action to the point where you have "acceptable buzz." If the action is still too high for you, then and only then consider shim adjustments.

Archived