Tactics for GC list sale

AunShui

• Members

Alright, so as some of you may know, Guitar Center is doing one of their "list" sales events this memorial Day.

I'm looking for a bass, and I just took in about 600 cash from selling extra guitar crap, plus I'll be taking in a little more as I sell more of my worldy possessions on ebay. I like Fender P and J basses, Warwick corvettes, and a few of the Ibanez soundgear basses (the BtB doesn't cut it for me). Stingrays and Sterlings are cool in my book, though my sister has one and I don't want to own the same gear as her. I also like Ric's, though they aren't the most slap happy basses. Still, for the right price...

Anyway, at these Sales Events, GC tries to clear old merchandise from the floor, you know, stuff that has been sitting there for months on end.

Well, there are a few things I've had my eyes on, and I predict they will go on sale during this event. I'll list the items, and I would appreciate it if you told me what you think is a fair price for it, plus what I should be getting in addition to it (ie, extra strings, free HSC or gig bag, etc).

Here's the list:

1) Warwick Rockbass Corvette Classic, slightly used with a few dings and a scratchy pot. 4 string

2) Warwick Corvette with the bubinga body, ovankol and wenge neck/fingerboard. 4 string.

3) Slightly beat up Ric bass, i don't know if it was a 4001 or a 4003. The red color (fireglo?)

4) Dark green fender P-bass, 4 string. I think it has a lace sensor. A bit beat up but still fine.

5) Fender American Jazz basses, new. 4 and 5 string.

What do you think is a fair price?

• Members

Originally posted by Crescent Seven

They probably won't haggle on the Warwicks or the Ric, but if you take the price they're asking on the Fenders, knock $200 off of it, and make them a cash and carry offer, you might end up with a very good deal.

C7

I was thinking that, but it all depends on who I work with, what else i would be willing to buy, etc.

The Rockbass was tagged normally at $425, I was thinking out the door for 325-350 with a free set of strings and a HSC or REALLY sweet gig bag might work.

The bubinga ric was 900 i believe, i think that includes the normal gig bag. What, 750 out the door is a good deal? Less? I'm sort of against it because its mad heavy, and I would like to try the proline before I commit, but again, for the right price it goes on ebay and I make a profit.

What's a deal for the ric? They wanted 1200 non-listed, i was thinking sub 1k with a HSC I would take it.

• Members

i've been to a few of these and generally they are a waste of time. the stuff that's seriously marked down is the junk they want out of the store or the really damaged stuff (i mean not working, needs repair bad stuff). i've never seen a good fender bass marked down. dings and blemishes usually aren't enough for the big markdown. if you do think that something will be marked way down, get there early. at the store in Boston, they'll start lining up at 7am.

• Members

don't be expecting them to do big markdowns on blemished basses. i was in the local GC one day playing a Marcus Miller J bass with a huge gouge out of the body, we're talking the size of a quarter here. they offered 10% off. i put it back on the hook.

• Members

Guitar Center here in Denver near Evans and Colorado SUX!

horrible customer service! sold me strings opposite of what i wanted.

flat wounds for slap:rolleyes: i stopped going to them. now go to Drum City Guitar Land in Wheat Ridge, also GuitarX and still looking through satillites:cool: ;)

1001001 SOS 1001001 in Distress!:freak:

• Members

Originally posted by AunShui

Alright, so as some of you may know, Guitar Center is doing one of their "list" sales events this memorial Day.

I'm looking for a bass, and I just took in about 600 cash from selling extra guitar crap, plus I'll be taking in a little more as I sell more of my worldy possessions on ebay. I like Fender P and J basses, Warwick corvettes, and a few of the Ibanez soundgear basses (the BtB doesn't cut it for me). Stingrays and Sterlings are cool in my book, though my sister has one and I don't want to own the same gear as her. I also like Ric's, though they aren't the most slap happy basses. Still, for the right price...

Anyway, at these Sales Events, GC tries to clear old merchandise from the floor, you know, stuff that has been sitting there for months on end.

Well, there are a few things I've had my eyes on, and I predict they will go on sale during this event. I'll list the items, and I would appreciate it if you told me what you think is a fair price for it, plus what I should be getting in addition to it (ie, extra strings, free HSC or gig bag, etc).

Here's the list:

1) Warwick Rockbass Corvette Classic, slightly used with a few dings and a scratchy pot. 4 string

2) Warwick Corvette with the bubinga body, ovankol and wenge neck/fingerboard. 4 string.

3) Slightly beat up Ric bass, i don't know if it was a 4001 or a 4003. The red color (fireglo?)

4) Dark green fender P-bass, 4 string. I think it has a lace sensor. A bit beat up but still fine.

5) Fender American Jazz basses, new. 4 and 5 string.

What do you think is a fair price?

1)$400

2)$700

3)$900

4)I have no idea

5)$825-$890

these "should" be the lowest they can go. This is figured off of "new" instruments, so cost can vary depending on what they bought them for. Hope this helps a bit.

• Members

Originally posted by greenshag

1)$400

2)$700

3)$900

4)I have no idea

5)$825-$890

these "should" be the lowest they can go. This is figured off of "new" instruments, so cost can vary depending on what they bought them for. Hope this helps a bit.

I know the equation where "half of the list is the wholesale price," but the Green P bass, Ric (if its still there), and Rockbass are all used. This list is even from a month ago; all this stuff may have cleared out by now to be replaced with new gear.

Anyway, I'm thinking that I won't go for the Warwick unless I can get a good return policy, because I think that the proline or something with an ash body might be more to my liking. Still, it depends on how low they can go.

• Members

I know the equation where "half of the list is the wholesale price," but the Green P bass, Ric (if its still there), and Rockbass are all used. This list is even from a month ago; all this stuff may have cleared out by now to be replaced with new gear.

Anyway, I'm thinking that I won't go for the Warwick unless I can get a good return policy, because I think that the proline or something with an ash body might be more to my liking. Still, it depends on how low they can go.

this is actually a bit more "insider" than the half off of list is the wholesale price equation (which is generally wrong anyways);)

• Members

I'd stay away from the Rockbass stuff. From the basses I've played, the electronics in them aren't that great and considering for a few dollars more you can get a real corvette, it's not worth it.

BTW: Which Guitar Center are you going to?

• Members

Originally posted by greenshag

this is actually a bit more "insider" than the half off of list is the wholesale price equation (which is generally wrong anyways)
;)

Ooooo, i think i get it! :D

You sure they can't go lower than 400 on a used rockbass they're asking 425 for?

• Members

Originally posted by SpaceGhost

I'd stay away from the Rockbass stuff. From the basses I've played, the electronics in them aren't that great and considering for a few dollars more you can get a real corvette, it's not worth it.

BTW: Which Guitar Center are you going to?

Yeah, and the color isnt my favorite either, but if they're willing to cut a real sweet deal...

And I'm going to the springfield Guitar Center. I still don't know what I'm going to spend my money on (bass is in the lead right now, but I would also consider another guitar, recording stuff, or a small live sound rig).

I want to get there about 8 am, maybe 8:30. Since its not near any residential areas, I'm probably going to be safe getting there closer to closing time.

• Members

Originally posted by Geddy'sFavHeadache

flat wounds for slap:rolleyes: i stopped going to them. now go to Drum City Guitar Land in Wheat Ridge, also GuitarX and still looking through satillites:cool:
;)

1001001 SOS 1001001 in Distress!
:freak:

I'm of the exact opposite opinion of the store on Colorado. I always deal with the same guy, and he's cut me some seriously sweet deals in the last 5 months. He's also a bass player, so he knows his {censored}.

The GC that sucks is the one in Westminster.

Drum City Guitarland might as well have a walk-up window. They cram so much {censored} in there you can't walk around, and you can't try anything out because they wont dig out an amp from the bottom of the pile.

Oh well. Your opinion sucks as bad as mine does.:D

C7

• Members

Originally posted by frunobulax

a general rule - don't buy something because it's cheap, buy it because it's what you truly want.

Right. Which is exactly what I'm buying myself a middle-high end bass for my first bass (I am NOT a beginner, however) as opposed to the standard SX/Squier/low-end ibanez thing.

I won't buy anything unless it looks like a really good deal, but I have been wrong in the past about what is good and what is not, which is why i'm checking here first.

• Members

You guys can do whatever you want on Memorial Day, I'm going to do what I always do; Get to GC really early, sneak into the acoustic guitar room, piss in the humidifier, then go someplace nice for breakfast.

• Members

By the way, how are schecter basses? I know the guitars are nice, but how do the basses stack up? They;re right in my price rang if they're good instruments.

Any opinions on warwick prolines?

depends on the model the diamond series like a C4 are pretty good I have one. some like the stelleto are a bit over priced.

• Members

Originally posted by Geddy'sFavHeadache

flat wounds for slap:rolleyes: i stopped going to them. now go to Drum City Guitar Land in Wheat Ridge, also GuitarX and still looking through satillites:cool:
;)

1001001 SOS 1001001 in Distress!
:freak:

I still remember the time I went into GC and told them I was looking for some tape wound strings, and the guy tried to convince me that the flats he had were what I was looking for. It took him two tries to realize that I did know what I was talking about, and thus he let it drop.

I guess the bigger thing is that did you know that flats were bad for slapping before he sold them to you? Because if so, it's not really the inept employee's fault.

• Members

By the way, how are schecter basses? I know the guitars are nice, but how do the basses stack up? They;re right in my price rang if they're good instruments.

Any opinions on warwick prolines?

Personally, I think schecter basses suck. They dress them up to make them look all pretty but then put nothing into the mechanics. Don't make the mistake I made. I'm trying to sell mine now but no one wants it.

• Members

Originally posted by ec437

Personally, I think schecter basses suck. They dress them up to make them look all pretty but then put nothing into the mechanics. Don't make the mistake I made. I'm trying to sell mine now but no one wants it.

Are they all {censored} or just some of them? I know enough to tell if a bass is good or a POS when I play it.

Does anyone own/play a Warwick Corvette Proline? Any opinions??

• Members

I'd say work on that Corvette. I used to have a 5'er and it wasn't a bad bass at all. Not like my Spector I got instead, but, still, nice. :)

Check out and see if they're blowing out any of the Spector line.

Apparently they had some sort of falling out and you can get Euro's for UNDER a grand!!! :eek: Yeah, I know. New.

Nuts I tell you.

Archived