Help with guidelines for bass speaker power

jerryjg

• Members

Hi, Im a new forum member. I am a 6 string guitar player, but have picked up a Peavey T-bass for my bass player, and I am looking for guidelines on the bass power and size of cabinet and type of speakers that I can use with my Vintage Kustom III 130 watt bass head. What I mean is, what is the bass speaker / bass cabinet size that can be used in a band to keep up with the 6 string guitar player? I would like to know that for a six string guitar using a 2x12 cabinet, and also for a guitar using a 4X12 cabinet. the six string palyer will be using either a 50 watt amp, or 100 watt amp cranked up pretty good. I am also wanting to know if I can get by with something smaller than the monster 2X15 EV laoded cabinet I put together for bass- something like a 1X15 or a 2X12 smaller cabinet. Would that work in a band, or do I need to lug the big 2X15? thanks :wave:

• Members
Originally posted by burdizzos

You can get away with a smaller cab, but it will need to be loaded with more efficient speakers and have ample power behind it.

The rule of thumb for bass is three times the power to keep up with a guitar amp.

wont two efficient 15"s make up for the lack of power , and be able to keep up with the guitar, or does the size of the driver have no bearing on the output, is driver size for tone only-to enable the bass to go down low, or will a bunch of tens like in the ampeg cabinets sound as low? Im a bit confused. Thanks for the input.

• Members

Yes, more speakers will make up for a lack of power and larger speakers have a perceived higher volume than smaller speakers.

If you're looking to get a smaller rig, you will need more power.

Speaker frequency response is more dependent on cab design than on speaker size. In order for a speaker to play low it must be designed to do so and them placed in a cab that is specifically designed for that speaker.

• Members

Originally posted by bassdudeguy

well im confused though cause in an ampeg amp the 10s usually get 100 watts and yorkvilles 8s get 100 watts also and thiers a 30 square inch difference in area ????

I'm confused because I can't understand what you're asking.

Archived