Upright bass question.

The Unknown

• Members

Hi !

I've got a small problem with my upright and I thought maybe the experience of some people here might help.

Physically, it's perfect : no cracks, no open seams, nothing. Like new althought it's a few years old.

When I play with it most of the time, I get a weird vibrating sound, especially when I play the lowest two strings, even more with them open (not using the left hand).

I brought it to my luthier. He analysed every part of it and gave it back to me. In his (humidity controled) shop, the bass was perfect : no more unwanted vibration. Back home. a few days later, the vibration was back.

When I play and stick my finger near the F hole on the bass side, the vibration almost stops. My luthier said it was just because I was cutting the bass' natural vibration and it wasn't indication where the problem originates...

My question : any idea what I can check on the bass ? I'd like fix that myself since the bass doesn't fit in my car and since the problem seems to disapear in my luthier's shop, somehow...

Thanks !!

• Members

Hmmm... A few places to check:

sound post

bridge feet

tail piece

Check for solid mating fits. Especially the feet of the bridge. The sound post would take your luthier to check. Also check the side seams carefully.

Also, it may be your house is way too dry or moist for the bass. It would be worth getting a hygrometer to keep an eye on it. Depending on where you live, you may need a dehumidifier in summer, and humifier in winter.

• Members

Your worst case scenerio would be what had happened to my upright. The downbearing pressure on the bridge from the strings, combined with time and environmental circumstances caused part of the tone bar to work itself loose.:freak: The top had to be removed so the bar could be re-set. It cost me $300, but it came back playing and sounding great.:) If the glue holding the bar drys out too much, a slight bump on the bridge could be enough to initiate the damage.:(

:wave:

• Members

Just an idea,you need to try a third place.

My URB rattled a picture frame on the wall.It took me 15 minutes to narrow it down.At first I thought it was the URB.

On my electric I had a tuning peg that rattled,very annoying.

• Members

Mine stopped buzzing when I changed to a thicker string. The D and the G both buzzed horribly. Humidity helps alot too. I'd agree with the humidifer comments.

Good luck to you. Figuring these things out can be a b*tch sometimes.

• Members

Originally posted by bassgirl9

Mine stopped buzzing when I changed to a thicker string. The D and the G both buzzed horribly. Humidity helps alot too. I'd agree with the humidifer comments.

Good luck to you. Figuring these things out can be a b*tch sometimes.

Hey mama, how ya doing?!?

How's the little one?

Are you back on here regular-like?

*sorry, didn't mean to -jack your thread*

• Members

2 buzzes I had a bastard of a time finding.

1. End pin too long.. vibrated like a loony on the lower notes so I cut off the extra bit I didnt need.

2. Fingerboard coming unglued due to temp variations. I didnt discover this until I took a stethescope to the thing.

Ended up being an easyfix to reglue the whole fingerboard (thanks Fonzie!) but It took years to find that buzz!:thu:

Archived