Why so much love for Cliff Burton?

Tetrapod

• Members

He had questionable rhythm, and a loose feel that didn't really work with the guitar and drums. To my ear at least.

Questionable fashion sense aside he seemed like a cool guy, and the way he died was tragic, but why is his playing so revered?

• Members

3rd guitarist right here...

It's too tough to even hear what he's playing most of the time, and when you can, it's a wah-drenched distortion sound. Not my ideal for "heavy bass" in a metal band, but hey some people like it for the same reason they like Hendrix or Jaco- I just can't figure it out. :) I'll take SRV and Patitucci anyday.

I prefer Jason hands down.

• Members

I thought he was great. Definitely played unconventionally for a "metal bassist". I didn't really care much for his use of disortion or wah, but he had an original style and was the most musically educated person in the band (at least around that time).

I liked him better than Jason, hands down, but not more than Trujillo. That guy is just a monster.

• Members

Originally posted by theoriz

Well, different ain't always better. I really know sh*t about him or his playing, but I can't say I liked the above youtube. What I saw was a bad guitarist playing a bass.

Don't shoot:D

Nah, that's what James and Lars initially thought when they first saw him too. :)

You're cool.

• Members

the thing about cliff most people miss, is that he was the only member of metallica with any music theory knowledge, and greatly influenced their writing on ride the lightning and master of puppets. Without him, we pretty much have the black album and beyond. Sometimes a band member is more important as an influence, than as an actual player in the band.

• Members

Originally posted by greenshag

the thing about cliff most people miss, is that he was the only member of metallica with any music theory knowledge,

That's why people are so into him? Never knew... ;):p

Wasn't aware so many 'Tallica fans were classically trained music theorists... but hey, what do I know right? ;)

• Members

Originally posted by RockStarBassist

That's why people are so into him? Never knew...
;):p

Wasn't aware so many 'Tallica fans were classically trained music theorists... but hey, what do I know right?
;)

:D :D :D That was the Ironic post of the day, no doubt.

• Members

Originally posted by theoriz

:D
That was the Ironic post of the day, no doubt.

thank you, thank you...

otoh, i can see the appeal though. one just has to wonder though what if jason had actually started as their second bassist instead of cliff when they started making it "big", and what styles he would've contributed to that early type of thrash/speed metal as opposed to the "N.E.M." ballads and the like from "Black" going forward...

He seemed like a pretty intense guy, which i respect. which is why i like jason so much. that guy goes 200mph 24/7. just a ball of energy and loves to play.

• Members

Originally posted by RockStarBassist

thank you, thank you...

otoh, i can see the appeal though. one just has to wonder though what if jason had actually started as their second bassist instead of cliff when they started making it "big", and what styles he would've contributed to that early type of thrash/speed metal as opposed to the "N.E.M." ballads and the like from "Black" going forward...

He seemed like a pretty intense guy, which i respect. which is why i like jason so much. that guy goes 200mph 24/7. just a ball of energy and loves to play.

listen to early flotsam and jetsom if you want to hear what jason would have been able to contribute if metallica ever did that with him (allowed him to contribute to the music).

• Members

Originally posted by greenshag

listen to early flotsam and jetsom if you want to hear what jason would have been able to contribute if metallica ever did that with him (allowed him to contribute to the music).

that's right. i remembered he was in a band but couldn't remember the name of it... i'll check them out.

• Members

He's right. That first Flotsam album, entitled Doomsday for the Deceiver has Jason's best recorded playing ever, IMO. Good stuff. Better than anything I ever heard from him on a Metallica album (not counting And Justice for All, which I still defy anyone to say they hear a discernible bass note :().

• Members

Originally posted by Crescent Seven

Because he didn't give a hot {censored} what people thought of his style, rhythm, or loose feel.

C7

If he were alive still I bet he would have cut his hair also for the Load(of crap) album, Jason was the man!

Archived