Fav 'Cheap' Big Name Brand Bass

tim_1002

• Members

I'm talking about stuff like the G&L Tributes, Lakland Skylines, MM Subs, Skyline Metros and stuff like that. Just want to get the feedback on them. i've heard the g&l and lakland sound close to the originals. no idea about the rest.

i'm thinking that a skyline 44-01 with nordies in them would sound killer.

• Members

For me, the Lakland 55-02 is almost a dead-on dupe of the USA made 55-94. There's more attention to detail on a US model, but in terms of sound alone, it's almost indistinguishable.

Sonically, there are minute differences between a current-build Sadowsky NYC and a Metro. I prefer the old-school build style of the Metro, so I'd actually choose the "B" line to the "A" line in Sadowsky's case.

• Members

speakin of tobias...I bought four of the korean gibson Tobiases - very cheap, construction was decent enough, they play and sound great (although I'd probably do better with some EMGs or Bart's as opposed to the 'Tobias soapbar' that came with 'em.)

I bought a 6 in like 2000, 2001...paid $519 for it. best "trainer" bass I own, that thing broke my hand something fierce when I first bought it, and I still use it every day just to keep my hands in shape.

bought a 4 shortly after that, liked it, but never played it much, sold it to my bass player a couple years ago because he loved the thing so much!

I also got the 5 & 6 stringers with the asym necks on 'em. very nice and comfortable, you can play on them all friggin night, dont make your hand super tired.

as excited as I was to see the new american tobiases, they're too damn expensive and I've got SOOO much more on the list ahead of even one of them!

Archived