reccomend me some jaco

ryanstanley

• Members

Originally posted by RockStarBassist

I actually prefer Manring's versions of Jaco's songs anyday, from the few I've heard... Just me prolly, but, he just voices them and interprets them different and I seem to like that better.

Fair enough. Also keep in mind that Jaco was playing this stuff 20 to 30+ years ago!!!:eek:

• Members

Originally posted by bassplayer7770

Fair enough. Also keep in mind that Jaco was playing this stuff 20 to 30+ years ago!!!
:eek:

+1 :thu:

Manring has always said he would have never pursued the bass to such a level he's currently at if he never heard Jaco Pastorius. Having a little more modern equipment (like Zon and Modulus) helps today's guys out too!!!

Mr. Matt

• Members

Originally posted by bassplayer7770

Fair enough. Also keep in mind that Jaco was playing this stuff 20 to 30+ years ago!!!
:eek:

Yeap, Manering's biggest influence was Jaco and he often says how much he tried to be like him but he couldn't get rid of certain "things". Those "things" were Manering himself. He's a great creative bass player and I think the way he realises Jaco is great - I also think the way Jaco realises Jaco is great too! :D

• Members

Wow, I figured you'd all miss the boat, but not by that much! :p

I said nothing in my post or in this thread about "influences" and all that other BS... We've had that discussion. :)

I simply went along the lines of someone ELSE who said they preferred Bona's version to Jacos. I said the SAME thing about Manring- who, yes obviously wouldn't be playing a Jaco tune if it weren't for Jaco... You do realize that's not too much of a stretch to understand, right?? ;)

• Members

I actually prefer Manring's versions of Jaco's songs anyday, from the few I've heard... Just me prolly, but, he just voices them and interprets them different and I seem to like that better.

Which really just makes Manring a cover artist, no?

ducks flying Spector

• Members

Wow, I figured you'd all miss the boat, but not by that much!
:p

I said nothing in my post or in this thread about "influences" and all that other BS... We've had that discussion.
:)

I simply went along the lines of someone ELSE who said they preferred Bona's version to Jacos. I said the SAME thing about Manring- who, yes obviously wouldn't be playing a Jaco tune if it weren't for Jaco... You do realize that's not too much of a stretch to understand, right??
;)

Not attacking you dude, just discussing Jaco- chill!:)

Mr Matt

• Members

Wow, I figured you'd all miss the boat, but not by that much!
:p

I said nothing in my post or in this thread about "influences" and all that other BS... We've had that discussion.
:)

I simply went along the lines of someone ELSE who said they preferred Bona's version to Jacos. I said the SAME thing about Manring- who, yes obviously wouldn't be playing a Jaco tune if it weren't for Jaco... You do realize that's not too much of a stretch to understand, right??
;)

...and you do realize that since Jaco was Manring's biggest influence, without Jaco, Manring wouldn't sound like Manring. That's not too much of a stretch for you to understand either, right?

• Members

Ryan do you have an e-mail account or AIM screen name? I was sent this CD (which I do not know the name of) which is the Herbie Hancock Quartet with Jaco and he is absolutely funky as hell. I seriously have never heard him lay in the pocket this much. Hit me up if you're interested!

• Members

Originally posted by SpaceGhost

Ryan do you have an e-mail account or AIM screen name? I was sent this CD (which I do not know the name of) which is the Herbie Hancock Quartet with Jaco and he is absolutely funky as hell. I seriously have never heard him lay in the pocket this much. Hit me up if you're interested!

yeah ive got email, im at ryan7585@gmail.com

awesome!

• Members

Originally posted by ryanstanley

well, just.. based on what i'd heard people say about him, it didnt sound like my thing. hes starting to sound better though

i just dont like slap
:freak:

and I have a very rhythm-based, smoothe, sustain-reliant / in the pocket but completely changing the song with what i play, kind of thing. i try to make sure i add something very important to the song's sound, to the point where the song completely loses all worth without me playing, while still staying in the pocket

and it seemed to me, that he was more of a melodic bass player who did a lot of slap and was a nonstop wanker. but it seems i was misinformed

you were misinformed.

jaco didn't slap.

Archived