Band Name Origins

rastafarian_nz

• Members
frr.jpg

Pretty original, huh?

But there's just something damn funny about ranchin fish. :)

There was also Happy Finish, an acoustic sit on the bar stools thing. You can guess where that name came from.

And White Trash Compactor, a sort of psyco-grass thing. We retired that name after 9-11 'cause everybody had already shortened it to WTC. Ooops. :confused:

And my other band from the 90's was the only name out of over 100 that no one hated. The least of evils if you will.

• Members
:D I wanted to call it STD but no one besides myself liked it go figure so we just call ourselves the old guys because we are. combined age of the group is an astounding 162 yrs and it's a three piece at this point but would like to add another guitar and or keys. so if anyone in the pdx area might be interested

• Members

The first band I was in was called thirtythreeheads because the lead guitarist's home phone number was 334-3237. If you look at the buttons on the phone you can spell heads with the letters on 43237 if you're bored of stoned enough. There's also Gay Wedding, the comedy music group thing I do with a buddy. Gay Wedding got the nod because he thought Dirty Sanchez might be too offensive.

• Members

"Kill the Rabbit"

it came from the old method of pregnancy testing. they used make a rabbit drink a girl's piss, and if it died, she was thought pregnant.

so, kill the rabbit....i guess..er, i guess that mean, um, we're...pregnant?

i dunno, we just like that name

• Members

Ours came from a line in the song wildchild by WASP.
Our singer at the time couldn't sing it without laughing. I guess it stuck
Nekkid Heat Machine. We changed it from Naked. Don't know why..
As Far as Indian tribes, I'm full blooded Pokealottatwat. :D

Really I'm Shawnee..

• Members

I've probably told this story here before, but it's worth repeating.

For years and years there was a place on the OSU campus called the 'I.P. Lounge' which stood for 'Italian Place'. The owner later change the name to 'Apollo's Place' (which was more appropriate, considering that he was GREEK, not italian!)

Despite tha name-change, the operating basis of the business remained the same, which was in simple terms: pay-to-play, but we will take ANYBODY! You can charge $0.25 at the door (to be collected by his employees) and you got a bar tab. More often than not, we left the place OWING.

But he also ran a carry-out window from the front of the bar, and had on the marquis 'GYRO99'. (As you can imagine, he sold gyros for a buck, to any drunken college kid who walked by.)

So, owing to the fact that so many of us had had so many gigs at 'Louie's', and since the name was already up in lights, we named the band 'GYRO99'. It had a more futuristic ring to it in 1996 than it does now that the century has turned...

Of course, the band made a point of NEVER playing there! We just found OTHER campus dives to play for no money instead.

In the years since, the OSU South Campus bar district has be 'gentrified', as if that will stop collegiates from consuming copious amounts of alchohol. The business relocated several blocks north, and the building itself has been razed. Things will never be the same, but the memories remain.

and they always will!

• Members

My band is the A.A. Dropouts. We play all the time downtown New Port RIchey, Florida, and there is nothing there but bars and an A.A. Club meeting place (ironic). When the meeting would go on break all the alchoholics would smoke cigs on the porch of the place and we would sit out in front on the bar waving to them with beers in our hands. I imaganed if one of them would just figure f*** it and join us at the bar. Thus they would be an A.A. Dropout like the rest of us.

• Members

A couple bands in my area-

"40 LB. Head"... it seems that a human head weighs ,on average, approximately 8 pounds and there are 5 members in the band. A very popular band, probably gonna be big.

"Half a' Lemon High"... One of the dudes in this band, who lives in Lemon, PA got caught with a bag of weed by his mom and she told him to get rid of it so he threw it into the blazing fireplace and she said, " what..are you nuts ?? You'll get half of Lemon HIGH !!"

" Abusement Park"...My band....the {censored} we have to deal with in life ain't no pleasant walk in the park, no sir !!

• Members

Originally posted by The Admiral

My band is the A.A. Dropouts. We play all the time downtown New Port RIchey, Florida, and there is nothing there but bars and an A.A. Club meeting place (ironic). When the meeting would go on break all the alchoholics would smoke cigs on the porch of the place and we would sit out in front on the bar waving to them with beers in our hands. I imaganed if one of them would just figure f*** it and join us at the bar. Thus they would be an A.A. Dropout like the rest of us.

Do you play at the Jam night down there? I went there one Wednesday and sat in on drums...

• Members

Originally posted by The Admiral

My band played a show with you guys at Bourbon Street a few months back.

Archived