Help me pick a bass and amp

twany03

• Members

Hi,

I'm about to upgrade my bass and rig, and need your advice. I play classic rock and some light metal. I play in a band that gigs in small w/o PA, but in larger places, i'll have access to the PA support. We have two guitarists which both have 100W tube half-stacks.

For basses, I was thinking-

Rickenbacker 4003

Fender MIA P-Bass

Gibson Thunderbird Studio

And for amps-

Ampeg SVT 3 Pro

Ampeg V4BH

GK 800RB

w/ a 4x10 or 1x15 + 2x10 setup

Please suggest any othercombinations of amps/cabs and basses under a total of $2000.

Thanks.

• Members

Any of those you mentioned would be a good choice. You just have to pick what you like.

Solid state will give you more detail and punch in the lows but a more brittle high end, where generally a tube or hybrid will tend to go in the other direction, tonally speaking.

• Members

Originally posted by twany03

Hi,

I'm about to upgrade my bass and rig, and need your advice. I play classic rock and some light metal. I play in a band that gigs in small w/o PA, but in larger places, i'll have access to the PA support. We have two guitarists which both have 100W tube half-stacks.

For basses, I was thinking-

Rickenbacker 4003

Fender MIA P-Bass

Gibson Thunderbird Studio

And for amps-

Ampeg SVT 3 Pro

Ampeg V4BH

GK 800RB

w/ a 4x10 or 1x15 + 2x10 setup

Please suggest any othercombinations of amps/cabs and basses under a total of $2000.

Thanks.

W=A=Y too broad a question. For starters, do you prefer all-tube, all tranny, or hybrid sound? For all tube, Ampeg's SVT is still the standard, so an easy place to start there. The V4B is kickin' as well, but if you go that route, make sure you get a very efficient cab with a lot of cone area. The GK800RB has been the industry standard all tranny for decades, and therefore a great place to start there. Being all tranny at under 400W, the same applies for your speaker choice as with the V4b. As far as hybrids go, Eden & Genz Benz are very much worth checking out.

Once you decide on a head, take it along with your bass and try out as many cabs and cab configurations as possible. Simply buy what works for you.

As far as instruments, well...the Fender P is a completely different animal than a Rick, so get out there and try 'em because not only do they sound completely different, they feel completely different as well. Actually, they compliment each other, so I recommend both, but seeing your current budget...:)

Example: I could see a setup like this-

This would provide you with a most excellent foundation to learn and grow from.

• Members

The GK can often be had used for as little as $2-300.

Hers' one: http://cgi.ebay.com/Gallien-Krueger-800RB-Bass-amp-head-Amplifier_W0QQitemZ290045118099QQihZ019QQcategoryZ121159QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item290045118099

And there's a Peavey 2x10 TVX on the bay as well:

http://cgi.ebay.com/PEAVEY-210-TVX-BASS-SPEAKER-CABINET_W0QQitemZ290046480685QQihZ019QQcategoryZ121158QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item290046480685

Then there's an Avatar 1x15 cab as well: http://cgi.ebay.com/AVATAR-BASS-CAB-with-15-INCH-SPEAKER-LIKE-NEW_W0QQitemZ190047107724QQihZ009QQcategoryZ4713QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item190047107724

If you go with something like that you should be able to keep the price on the rig down to less $1000. It will be a quality rig though.

That probably leaves enough money to get a new Ric 4003. I like Rics so that would be my suggestion. Still though, you should try before you buy as far as possible.

Edit: Check this out too: http://cgi.ebay.com/1979-Rickenbacker-4001-Stereo-Bass-Guitar-Great-Shape_W0QQitemZ270050352907QQihZ017QQcategoryZ4713QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item270050352907 I can guarantee that the price will go up though.

• Members

Thanks for the help. I like tube sound a lot, so an all-tube head, or a hybrid would probably be better. I know that tube heads can be driven harder and still have a desirable tone, but will the 100W V4BH be as loud as the 400W GK800RB or SVT 3Pro? I like punchy mids and highs, and rumbling thunderus lows. What cab configurations would you suggest for the most surface area and this tone.

Any other ideas welcome,

thanks.

• Members

Thanks for the help. I like tube sound a lot, so an all-tube head, or a hybrid would probably be better. I know that tube heads can be driven harder and still have a desirable tone, but will the 100W V4BH be as loud as the 400W GK800RB or SVT 3Pro? I like punchy mids and highs, and rumbling thunderus lows. What cab configurations would you suggest for the most surface area and this tone.

Any other ideas welcome,

thanks.

THere's an ampeg on the bay as well: http://cgi.ebay.com/Ampeg-V4BH-100W-Tube-Bass-Amplifier-Head-SVT-Amp-V-4BH_W0QQitemZ150054705369QQihZ005QQcategoryZ121156QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item150054705369

Also I just found these cabs you may be able to get if you're lucky:

http://cgi.ebay.com/TRACE-ELLIOT-1048H-1518-BASS-SPEAKER-CABINETS_W0QQitemZ170046251535QQihZ007QQcategoryZ121159QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item170046251535

This should give you plety of surface area.

Edit: I love looking through Ebay even if it's not for myself. You'll be hard pressed to find an all tube head within your price range. I've just spent quite a while myself looking for one without much luck.

• Members

I know that tube heads can be driven harder and still have a desirable tone,

...if you like crunch.

I like punchy mids and highs, and rumbling thunderus lows.

Well, generally, trannies will give you "better" punch, while either can give you thunderous lows.

It's looking like my example is closer to what you should be looking at.

[edit] ...maybe swap the 800RB with the B4(???). :idea:

Archived