slavingunderpowering

CaptianGalatica

• Members

Well I recently bought a early 70s Ampeg v-4b which is a 100watt head (which is still being shipped) to go with my Ampeg 8X10 (which is a newer one) and I was wondering about if this setup would underpower my cab because i heard many things such as melting coils if you do underpower something day after day so i e mailed ampeg tech support with the issue and they told me as long as i dont push the head to much i wont "burn the speakers". So now im thinking well i want to drive the head pretty hard in order to get moderate volume out of a 100 watt and to get a nice tube overdriven sound so i have been looking for alternatives (dreding to having to shell out 1000+ bucks for a vintage 300 watt svt after just buying this head) and i was was wondering how doues slaving work? could this be the answer to my problem? if i slave for example 2 100 watts heads together would the outcome be 200 watts? doues it evan work like that? im asking this not knowing anything about how the whole slaving process works. i would really appearate input on how i could solve this problem. thanks. btw keep in mind the cab only has 1 input.

p.s. the reason i didnt just get the svt in the first place is cus 1 i would have to wait longer for the money to come in and 2 i have heard that alot of people like the v-4b's better. thanks

• Members

Slaving will get you 2x100 W of power, not 200.

In other words you can get louder but you can't plug both into the same cab, unless you rewire it into 2 separate 4x10 cabs.

All this looks to me like a very complicated and expensive way to get less power and tone than a SVT.

Especially since you haven't yet played your V4B, which doesn't exactly deliver "moderate volume" when pushed.

Archived