Squier P-Bass Special vs. SX SPJ-62

aerianne

• Members

This is going to be my first bass... I'm trying to decide between the Squier P-Bass Special and the SX SPJ-62.

Because I live in Canada and L&M is currently having their xmas sale, the squier and sx will end up being approximately the same price (I think $250 vs. $235). The squier is the Black Metallic finish whereas the sx is the sunburst. I can try the squier... obviously can't try the sx.

Thoughts on which will be a better bass for the price and will last me longer (as in, I won't feel the need to upgrade in a short time period)? Anyone played/has both and can comment on reliability, etc?

Thanks!

• Members

Based on my experience I would say go for the Squier. After you buy it put on a new set of strings and replace the pickups. You won't believe the sound. Make sure you play it before you buy it though, Fender quality control isn't anywhere near consistent.

• Members

I just picked up one of those Squiers on Ebay for a fretless project I'm about to throw together. It's a fantastic bass, especially for the price - Jazz-like satin-finish neck, light weight. In fact, it's probably the exact one you're looking at; on closer inspection, the black finish has a metallic flake to it.

I'll be swapping out the pickups, and I got a Mighty Mite fretless neck for it, but don't let that stop you. It comes very close to some of my other basses costing three or four times as much.

Archived