RoboChrist's art appreciation thread: Russian Suprematism

RoboChrist

• Members

I've been laid off from my job for over three weeks, and in that time, I've been spending idle moments on the net googling different art styles, sometims coming up with something familiar, sometimes with something totally new to me. This one falls in the second category...

So sit back, relax, and give Carl Jung a phone call via the collective unconsciousness (it's a collective call) and enjoy...

malevich.krasnodar.jpg

"Kasimir Malevich (1878-1935), who founded what he called Suprematism, believed in an extreme of reduction: ``The object in itself is meaningless... the ideas of the conscious mind are worthless''. What he wanted was a non-objective representation, ``the supremacy of pure feeling.'' This can sound convincing until one asks what it actually means. Malevich, however, had no doubts as to what he meant, producing objects of iconic power...

Malevich had initially been influenced by Cubism and primitive art, which were both based on nature, but his own movement of Suprematism enabled him to construct images that had no reference at all to reality. Great solid diagonals of color in Dynamic Suprematism are floating free, their severe sides denying them any connection with the real world, where there are no straight lines. This is a pure abstract painting, the artist's main theme being the internal movements of the personality. The theme has no precise form, and Malevich had to search it out from within the visible expression of what he felt. They are wonderful works, and in their wake came other powerful Suprematist painters such as Natalia Goncharova and Liubov Popova."

- www.ibiblio.org

• Members

:thu: I have quite a bit of free rein at the art dept at my school at the moment, even though I'm not studying it for my senior year, but I'm designing the yearbook cover so I'm still around there quite a lot. You cannot find a subject that is as rewarding, un-rewarding, hard work and a scive at the same time!

I had a cool surrealist dream one day when I came home from art in school and was feverish! I wish I could turn the photo in my mind to a painting. :thu:

And if you ever can, go to Barcelona! Wonderful city! (Gaudi and Picasso!)

• Members

Originally posted by RoboChrist

Speaking of surreal...I was in the Glasgow art Gallery several years back...cool place! Got to see Dali's St. John of the Cross up close
:cool:

Yeah thats a fantastic painting! That was Kelvingrove art Gallery in the West end. It's recently had a huge refurbishment! It's now got a spitfire hanging in the main lobby! :cool:

I havent been for quite a few years now... it's on my to do list. It's right next to Glasgow university, where I'm going next year too, as well as a stunning park! :thu:

• Members

Originally posted by Fireball_73

Yeah thats a fantastic painting! That was Kelvingrove art Gallery in the West end. It's recently had a huge refurbishment! It's now got a spitfire hanging in the main lobby!

Lol....yeah, great place but eccentric maybe? I wouldn't be surprised if they had a formaldehide cyclops baby exhibit in the front lobby...

• Members

Originally posted by RoboChrist

Lol....yeah, great place but eccentric maybe? I wouldn't be surprised if they had a formaldehide cyclops baby exhibit in the front lobby...

Oh thats the huntarian museum collection at the university. My mum went there for inspiration when she went to art school and my sister has a tatoo on her arm that she designed from stuff there. (Don't worry neither is gross)

Archived