How long does it take to become a decent bass player?

c827

• Members

It is a lot like the game of chess. Easy to pick up; impossible to master.

The golden rules of bass playing are pretty simple.

Know rhythm. You are the backup for the drummer. You are the line most people hum when they remember a tune. You must be able to stay in the pocket and compliment the drummer, and not overplay the lead (most of the time).

If you can't keep time, then it doesn't matter if you can riff with the best of them. You will be kicked off the tour bus.

Bands would much rather someone rhythmically astute who can just sit on the I V Octave or I IV V.. as long as they keep the music driven.

Calisthenics: Keep your fingers limber. Practice daily. Even if it's for only 15-20 minutes. Do scales. Do arpeggios. Walk up and down the fretboard to with exercises.

Start slowly. Buy yourself a digital metronome and set it to 50 bpm and practice playing on the beat. Play all your practice exercises at the same speed. Once they're flawless move it to 55 or 60bpm and don't move on until it's exact.

Find a way of recording yourself.. cheaply. Even a little microphone on your computer. I've found if you can hear how you sound when not playing, you'll be better when you do.

Don't be afraid of callouses. They help.

And start listening to more music. Instead of listening to just the song, or the lyrics.. listen again for the bass part. It will be a whole new song to you. See what they are doing and see why it is important.

Lastly, enjoy the booty shakin'

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived