What's that freakin' buzz?!!!

Guitin Better

• Members

Santa brought me a new SX bass for Christmas. It's a P/J style and when I open the J pickup tone pot at all I got this horrific buzz. It stops when I tough anything metal on the bass (strings, knobs, bridge etc.).

I think it's a grounding problem . . . anybody agree or disagree or have another idea??

• Members

that is the nature of the beast when you buy a P/J combo, the single coil has nothing to cancel out the 60 cycle hum with (if you had a J/J bass youd get the same noise if the pickups were not at the same volume but it will be cancelled out if they are at the same volume)

You can either try Shielding your pickup and control cavity better, or replace it with a humucking jazz (P pickups are humbuckers by deisgn so they dont hum like the single coil jazz does)

• Members

Yup. 60Hz buzz. I have an active Iby PJ bass, the J starts buzzing any time I drop the P volume less than about half the J volume. Some people have luck cutting it down if they really do a very particular job at shielding the electronics cavity and the pickup cavity. If you go through that effort, make it as good as possible, and make sure you ground the shielding. And in a spider pattern, with no loops.

• Members

Originally posted by Guitin Better

I don't think this matters, but I'm playing through an electric guitar amp, not a bass amp. Does this matter??

No, I don't think that should be an issue really, although an amp voiced for guitar might make the buzz more noticable.

Be sure not to play though guitar speakers though, you'll probably fry them!

• Members

Originally posted by Guitin Better

Well . . . the amp in question is a combo amp so I guess I am using guitar speakers. What's the problem in doing that? (I'm playing at low volume just practicing at home)

Guitar speakers just aren't really designed to have to handle a bass signal.

Even at volumes you may consider safe you may very well cook your guitar speakers.

Archived