Jesus Camp

B-Bottom

• Members

Originally posted by Jazz Ad

Didn't your daughter participate in a similar camp at some point ?

I don't know about the camp TBroom's daughter went to, but that camp is nothing like most Christian Camps.

Most Christian camps are normal summer camps where they have some bible study each day (tailored to the age group) and sing some Christian songs at camp fire. Most of the day is spent in normal camping activities (Swimming, horseback riding, what have you)...Not babbling in ascriptural charismatic glossolalia...

The camp in the film had (it's now closed) a total of a few hundred campers for the entire summer. The bigger camps have 500+ per week, the biggest have over 1000+ per week...

People need to be careful not to confuse Charismatic/Pentecostal practice with mainstream Christian practice...

• Members

Originally posted by King Kashue

I don't know about the camp TBroom's daughter went to, but that camp is
nothing
like most Christian Camps.

Most Christian camps are normal summer camps where they have some bible study each day (tailored to the age group) and sing some Christian songs at camp fire. Most of the day is spent in normal camping activities (Swimming, horseback riding, what have you)...Not babbling in ascriptural charismatic glossolalia...

The camp in the film had (it's now closed) a total of a few hundred campers for the entire summer. The bigger camps have 500+ per week, the biggest have over 1000+ per week...

People need to be careful not to confuse Charismatic/Pentecostal practice with mainstream Christian practice...

That's exactly how our church's camp works.

• Members

Originally posted by Jazz Ad

I know. I just remember TB telling us his love and pride went to a christian camp as a part of an acting class (I think) and was quite demoralized by it.

Most likely not as hardcore as this one.

You are correct.

It was an acting camp sponsored by a christian group. It was not nearly as hardcore as this one; however, they coerced the teens into signing a "purity pledge" utilizing godspeak and peer pressure. This is what really bothered my daughter. She's able to think for herself and does not need to sign a pledge to live her life as she see fit.

She's still friends with some of the kids that she met there.

• Members

Originally posted by Thunderbroom

You are correct.

It was an acting camp sponsored by a christian group. It was not nearly as hardcore as this one; however, they coerced the teens into signing a "purity pledge" utilizing godspeak and peer pressure. This is what really bothered my daughter. She's able to think for herself and does not need to sign a pledge to live her life as she see fit.

She's still friends with some of the kids that she met there.

I personally don't even like "altar calls" (since they function on emotion a group dynamic), and would be furious with any behavior that could be described as coercion...

I firmly believe in Jesus being the Way/Truth/Life, but I just as firmly believe that whether a person chooses to believe that needs to be a decision between them a God, and no one else should be forcing someone's hand or mind in the decision...

Archived