Head voice - Your Personal Experience.

jvardon

• Members

Here's a video of a demonstration of my problematic head voice.

Ah man, I JUST got to watch this video. Tell you what...I'll post a video tomorrow of what I was talking about. When you decended the scale you did a GREAT job of transitioning from once voice to another. I think the choice of vowel you are singing is giving you confusing results. It sounds and looks to me like you are doing the right thing. I can hear some tightening of your throat, but the good thing is that I think we can fix this pretty quickly.

• Members

Ah man, I JUST got to watch this video. Tell you what...I'll post a video tomorrow of what I was talking about. When you decended the scale you did a GREAT job of transitioning from once voice to another. I think the choice of vowel you are singing is giving you confusing results. It sounds and looks to me like you are doing the right thing. I can hear some tightening of your throat, but the good thing is that I think we can fix this pretty quickly.

Hey man. I listened to the video again. I am also in the stages of learning, so I really don't have any business trying to make you an instructional video.

But the thing I noticed was when you go down in your range, you start with your neck outstretched. That would make your neck 'shrink' in. Try leaving your head in the same place, and go up with a scale. When you go up, try to leave the back of your throat really open, and conciously have your larnyx stay put. You are tyring to get your vocal chords to zip closed, rather than tightening your whole throat. I find the Roge Love excercise "mum" to be easiet when doing this.

• Members

Good News!!

Thanks to all your help, my throat is much less constricted now. Although I now have to do a lot more breathing exercises because I'm pushing out waaaay to much air.

My larynx is still rising and I cant do the dopey sounding mum or gud exercises.

Dthraco, I tried it just now. My neck still shrinks even if I keep my head still. I think it's a side effect of my raised larynx.

Thank you for your compliment.

LordBTY, I cant seem to do your exercise. My larynx just refuses to stay down.

• Members

LordBTY, I cant seem to do your exercise. My larynx just refuses to stay down.

Really? :S

It's important to not think of it as singing... just yawning.

Yawning lowers your larynx... it's not about opening your mouth.

• Members

Good News!!

Thanks to all your help, my throat is much less constricted now. Although I now have to do a lot more breathing exercises because I'm pushing out waaaay to much air.

If you are pushing out too much air, try singing with less volume.

I am jsut starting to really get a feel for how different singing at volume vs singing at speaking level is. You need a whole lot more control and understanding of your voice to sing at speech level. At least that's the way it seems to me.

• Members

Step backwards, ARRRRGH!!

Turns out, the feeling of less constriction comes from the extra air going out. If I sing with less volume the constriction comes back.

This is soooo frustrating.

As for yawning, I can do it in chest but not head. As of now, it's a physical impossibility.T_T.

• Members

I watched your video again. When you sing higher notes, you are lifting your head up, streching out your neck. Try to leave your head in a relaxed position.

I'm certainly not using a reference pitch for this example, but I hope this helps.

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

• Members

My head and neck were relaxed, its that I have very sloped shoulders so it always looks like I'm either slouching or craning my neck.

Video was a good reminder that it is possible to keep the back of my throat open even if my mouth is more-or-less closed.

And it kinda reminded me to do siren exercises for range development.

Thanks!

• Members

Right at :32, you bring your head up and a bit forward as you go for the high note. And then after that you do the same thing, moving your head forward like you are reaching for something. (Hard to explain it without sounding odd, so no offense intended.) Do you see that?

• Members

Right at :32, you bring your head up and a bit forward as you go for the high note. And then after that you do the same thing, moving your head forward like you are reaching for something. (Hard to explain it without sounding odd, so no offense intended.) Do you see that?

OH! lol. Yeah, I saw that. I don't think I do it all the time because the moment I read your post I went over to a mirror to check how much I move my head and I didn't do it then.

So it's unconscious and maybe had to do with how I was sitting. I'm not sure. But I'll work on it.

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Breakthrough!!

I've beenn trying something all week. I have been doing descending sirens while consciously pulling my larynx down as much as possible from head to chest voice. I do it constantly, all day.

Results:

I have consistently been able to pull my larynx down in head voice at higher pitches (was limited to about C4 at first, can almost go up to G4 with a pulled down larynx).

Because of this I can now do LordBTY's yawn exercise, albeit not over my whole range.

My larynx now stays lower by itself when I sing. My head voice is clearer and more steady. My throat is much, much more open. My mix is way better. Miles better.

Archived