Got a new monitor... (Review / Blog)

bassman1956

• Members

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2549921&CatId=0Viewsonic VG2230wm

V18-1963-bandidasdvd2-ca.jpg

My 'puter's a Dell P4/1500, got it the week P4's came out. As part of the package deal, got a 20" CRT monitor with it. It's okay, but fading and getting brighter. And CRT's are very hard on my eyes. VERY hard.

So hard, in fact, that eye strain leads to migrains and other stuff. So, work bought me a Planar 21.3" 4:3, 1280 x 960 @ 75 Hz, LCD monitor a couple years back. Came out of the ergonomics budget. Immediate, significant beneficial effect on reducing migrains, eye stress, and other things. Great! So, ever since I've been waiting for flat panels to go down in price. So I could get one for home.

Well, a two-week plus headache, combined with a significant reduction in price over the last few months (even the $1300 Planar they got me at work can be had for $650 now), and this one looking good when I went to the TigerDirect showroom the other day, well, I picked it up. Hey! 22" LCD widescreen for $330!

I am really impressed, I must say! 22" widescreen 16:10 ratio, is the same height as my 20" 4:3 CRT, but about 2-1/2" wider, and with incredible resolution, contrast, color (gamma), and sharpness. Almost too much! I have it set one notch down from max resolution, 1280 x 768 @ 75Hz, vs. 1680 x 1050 @ 60 Hz. And toned down the contrast and gamma, it's just colors frigging leaping out of the screen! Things are a little large, but my eyes are sensitive enough that I can't use any screen synced at 60Hz, and that's the only refresh rate available at 1680 x 1050. That, and images and icons really start getting small. But, if they had a sync rate of 75 or 85 Hz, I'd probably be using the higher res. Videos are incredible! Actually, I think I'd like a resolution setting in between the two, that still had a refresh rate of like 75 to 85 Hx. Say, 1536 x 960. Probably would be ideal.

Yeah, and if I could pick up those two babes on the screen in the ad pics, well, I wouldn't be on here for a few days! :p

• Members

Oh, and while I was there, picked up an SD card for my Zoom H4 recorder, gives me like 6 hours 20 minutes of 44.2kHz time stereo CD recording, or like 17-1/2 days of MP3 stereo recording. Just freaking awesome!

Memory took soooo long to catch up to processors, but now that it's doing so, I am duly impressed! :thu:

• Members

Oh, and while I was there, picked up an SD card for my Zoom H4 recorder, gives me like 6 hours 20 minutes of 44.2kHz time stereo CD recording, or like 17-1/2 days of MP3 stereo recording. Just freaking awesome!

How big is the card you bought? I've got a 2 gig and recorded our rehearsal tonight @44. I don't have the total time but it's less than 4 hours and is nearly full.

• Members

How big is the card you bought? I've got a 2 gig and recorded our rehearsal tonight @44. I don't have the total time but it's less than 4 hours and is nearly full.

4 Gig on the H4, gives me about 6 hours of recording time at 44.1kHz stereo WAV format , and about 6 times that for stereo mpg format.

• Members

4 Gig on the H4, gives me about 6 hours of recording time at 44.1kHz stereo WAV format , and about 6 times that for stereo mpg format.

Cool!

The 2gb card seems to work well for the length of our rehearsals. I've got a 1gb card as well that I can use if necessary. The Zoom is a great gadget for recording rehearsals.

Archived