singray vs. bongo, deciding to buy a bass

heartsndspades

• Members

whats the difference other than body shape? neck width, electronics, shorter scale..??

now that im returning/ selling of my drum stuff i think ill be buying a bass or two.

i have a mim fender deluxe active jazz... i may want a better jazz, or a stingray, or a bongo, or gibson grabber or some two of the listed.

any recomendations?

im not looking for a g&l, p bass, rick (maybe someday if i can get a green one), ibanez, yamaha, spector, or sadowski, or fender knock off shapes, and im not into anything really flashy.

ill probably have around 2 grand to work with.

how do you guys like tobias's?

• Members

SR: Alnico pups and ash body.

Bongo: Neo pups and basswood body.

Scale lengths are the same.

SR has a P like neck width.

Bongo is a bit narrower (almost like a Jazz).

Both kick ass.

SRs come with 2 or 3-band preamps and multiple pickup configurations (H, HS, or HH). Dual pickup models come with a 5-position switch.

Bongos come with 4-band preamps and also come in multiple pickup configurations (H, HS, or HH).

• Members

T. Alan, here lately it sounds like you're a business partner with this guy.

Why's that? I mention him less than others around here. :confused:

Plus, I've seen lotsa his work over on Talkbass. The reviews are great. He's a regular poster over there, and oftentimes here. He appears to be a very decent guy. His instruments are absolutely gorgeous. I find them insanely intriguing.

That is all. ;):)

• Members

Both Stingray and Bongo are excellent instruments, but they sound completely different. Personally, I would prefer the Stingray, but you're really going to have to follow your ears on this one.

I also think the Bongo is one of the ugliest instruments on the planet. Sounds great though.

Also consider a Sterling.

• Members

I have a Bongo and LOVE it. Stingrays have that great, ballsy tone. Bongos are not as aggressive as Stingrays, but they are VERY close. A Bongo can be tamed far easier than a Ray. I think Bongos are more versatile, but not quite as in your face. A Ray is plenty versatile though, especially with the new multi-pickup models. I prefer my Bongo due to the flexability of the preamp, but I could be happy with either.

However, if you don't want flashy looks, beware the Bongo. The Bongo is an attention getter and I have had nothing but positive remarks about how cool my bass looks. Usually, the crowd wouldn't even notice my bass. But if you don't want that kind of attention, take a closer look at the Ray. Playing one of each would help.

• Members

I thought the Bongo was way more aggresive then the 'Ray.

hmmm....maybe its just me. A Bongo5 is more aggressive than a SR5, but I think its not as in-your-face as a standard Ray. I found the Bongo to be a bit more refined than a Ray. Rays are very raw sounding to me, in a good way. You can't really dial that sound out of a Ray, but you can almost dial it out of a Bongo with the EQ. But they both have that Musicman tone to them.

In any case, this just further shows the need to play them both to decide for yourself as you can see how people hear the same two things differently.

• Members

whats the difference other than body shape? neck width, electronics, shorter scale..??

now that im returning/ selling of my drum stuff i think ill be buying a bass or two.

i have a mim fender deluxe active jazz... i may want a better jazz, or a stingray, or a bongo, or gibson grabber or some two of the listed.

any recomendations?

im not looking for a g&l, p bass, rick (maybe someday if i can get a green one), ibanez, yamaha, spector, or sadowski, or fender knock off shapes, and im not into anything really flashy.

how do you guys like tobias's?

I just sold my MIA Active Deluxe Jazz 5 last week! Mint condition too... you would have loved it! well for 2 grand you can scratch sadowsky off your list but a new MIA Active deluxe jazz goes for $1250 - $1350 (alder vs ash).

I only sold mine because after buying a custom Roscoe skb 3005 last year I had to have another! The old girl just wasn't getting any from me so I had to let her go to someone who would treat her right! btw the Tobias Killer B is pretty nice... 2 grand will just cover it!

• Members

yea i got to play both of them and the stingray did seem to have more bite to it which was nice, my favorite bassist uses a stingray ( nick beard - circa survive .. but he uses the sansamp psa 1.1 rackmount so it wont be the same). the bongo sounded a bit tamer, i guess i liked the bongo because of its neck being thinner(and looks cool).. i don't know what to do really, i may try and see if i can get a mia portaflex before (if) its not too late (and the guy buys my set+cymbals tomorrow!). and just fix the pickup noise on my jazz's bridge pup.

or if thats not possable ill be bass hunting and probably pick up a b100r or 200r. ill need a combo or second set up of some sort if i make it in the band im trying out for.wish me luck!

• Members

I would recommend Lakland 4-94/44-02 with the new Lakland Electronics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMJ1KjkQW3M

• Members

I would recommend Lakland 4-94/44-02 with the new Lakland Electronics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMJ1KjkQW3M

Okay, thanks. Now I'm gassing for a lakland. :mad: Strangely, I played a buddy's 55-01 and it didn't do much for me. I liked the little demo, but I thought the lakland pulled off the fender sounds much better than it did the MM sound. Just me?

• Members

Okay, thanks. Now I'm gassing for a lakland.
:mad:
Strangely, I played a buddy's 55-01 and it didn't do much for me. I liked the little demo, but I thought the lakland pulled off the fender sounds much better than it did the MM sound. Just me?

I also think with the it pulled off the Fender's better but the MM sound was similar enough, IMO.

I'm in the process of getting the new Lakland electronics in my Bart equipped 4-94. I played one w/the new p/u's and pre at a TB GTG and it sounded killer.

• Members

I'm in the process of getting the new Lakland electronics in my Bart equipped 4-94. I played one w/the new p/u's and pre at a TB GTG and it sounded killer.

Very interesting. Maybe I should consider a 55-02 with Lakland electronics as my next 5-string bass (to complement my Reverend).

*adds to the list*

Archived