Ibanez SR406 upgrade, worth it?

Renato

• Members

I'm one of the guitar players in the band, but since the bassist isn't much into gear, I'm trying to clear out some points.

We all agree that the bass doesn't deliver the tone we want. We play some heavy music, our references tone-wise are Death, Nevermore, Pantera...

The bass we have is a 6 string Ibanez SR406, with Ibanez passive pu's and active eq. It seems that the low B, wich we (ab)use in our current songs is weaker than the rest of the strings, possibly due to (according to something I red, can't remember where) the pu's being too short. But even that aside, the overall tone doesn't please us.

Seems that EMG DCxx are a good choice considering some band references and reviews. My problem is that EMG has a wide choice of eq's, from 2 to 3 band eq, with just the eq controls or with added blend and volume pots.

Could I install just the pu's with the current electronics? Or do I have to install EMG electronics? If I don't have to, should I? Or the main diference would come from the pu's alone?

Or do you find that it's not worth it and we should get another bass?

Hope you can help us out.

• Members

I have a 405 and i've always found the B string to be weak (and annoyingly floppy too). I'd definitely look into what neonvomit said, upgrading your preamp over your pickups will usually fix things better than just doin the pickups

oh and neon, i just realised you're running about half of the dream rig i want :p

the BTB and Punch Factory pedal are the last two things I need from your list

Archived