Any iAmp users in here?

RoboChrist

• Members

I bought the IAmp Jugghaid used in the shootout. Also, spent some time with an IAmp 800. The newer line, like the 800, are different animals than mine (which is an "original iAmp").

There is a lot that could be said about the 800, so I'll just hit the main points:

--more transparent than most amps when set flat. The 800 adds a bit of thickness/booty but doesn't sacrifice articulation.

--While very articulate, doesn't have as fast a response as GK (which seems the fastest to me). However, since the upper mids are cleaner and it doesn't add growl like GK does, it actually provides much better clarity to my ears.

--light & small!

--build quality felt a bit cheap to me. The actual chassis seems sturdy, but the knobs/sliders didn't feel so great.

--ENORMOUSLY flexible EQ. There are some preset switches, some of which offer "plug & play" tone, but if you're a knob-twiddler the eq will be either a blessing or a curse. You can get tons of great sounds, but sometimes I find the options a bit overwhelming.

--Can't distort/overdrive it. TONS of headroom.

I love my original iAmp, but I actually like the sound of the 800 better. They tweaked some of the eq and presets to make them better (less drastic on the presets, lowered the low eq which can now go down to 40hz--it's 60hz on mine).

If I decide to replace my original iAmp, the 800 is a strong contender.

• Members

Hey thanks a lot for that:thu:

Did you find the amp particularly hot after extended use? I'm asking because I have a 4ohm cab...it would be easy to get another 4ohm and run at 2ohms (I think). it's supposed to handle a 2ohm load fine according to the website info...

• Members

Hey thanks a lot for that:thu:

Did you find the amp particularly hot after extended use? I'm asking because I have a 4ohm cab...it would be easy to get another 4ohm and run at 2ohms (I think). it's supposed to handle a 2ohm load fine according to the website info...

You're welcome :)

Sorry, never ran it at 2 ohms, and the loudest I've played either was moderate volume. I've heard of the 350 shutting down if it was driven too hard, but supposedly the 800 doesn't have that problem.

Archived