Sunn 610L - Fender BXR

drmcleod

• Members

Hello all -

I have an opportunity to get a Sunn 610L bass cab at a good price. Anybody here ever own one or hear anything about Sunn cabs? Are they reliable? This thing looks old, but I'm sure it sounds fine. I've yet to play it myself, but I will of course if I decide to buy it. This thing has (6) 10" speakers - I'm not sure of any wattage / ohm ratings, but it must be able to handle a couple hundred watts anyway.

Also, has anybody heard any good or bad things about Fender's BXR200 bass head? I've played through a couple larger Fender BXR combos and they seemed pretty rugged - I was wondering if the heads are prone to any particular problems.

I'm looking for a cheap bass rig and this combination of the Fender / Sunn certainly seems like it would work for me. I could get this rig here for about $300, used of course.

Then again, I could buy a brand-new Ampeg BA115 for $349 - I've played through one of those and they are quite powerful for a 100W rig.

Any and all input is very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Doug

• Members

The BXR ain't bad but it's not good either. The first amp I owned was the BXR 15" combo. It sounds really steril to me but I've beat the hell out of it and it doesn't stop. The wide eq is nice and the chorus isn't horrible. The only problem you'll run into with the BXR might be how it sounds to you. If you like it go for it.

Yo.

• Members

Fender BXR series felt to me like a response to the peavey mk, III, and IV.

Loud, tough, clean and sterile.

I used my BXR300 for litereally hundereds of gigs over ten years and it always worked. It really came into its own though with the addition of a preamp. First the fishman and later a Sansamp BDDI.

The BXR range got a particullarly bad rap in the combo units because they had horrible cheap eminance speakers in them that did not suit the power and impedance of the amp. Ie, the BXR 300C had a 300w @4 ohm amp and a pressed steel Eminence 150w 8ohm speaker, so the amp was always only giving half power at best.

• Members

The BXR range got a particullarly bad rap in the combo units because they had horrible cheap eminance speakers in them that did not suit the power and impedance of the amp. Ie, the BXR 300C had a 300w @4 ohm amp and a pressed steel Eminence 150w 8ohm speaker, so the amp was always only giving half power at best.

Not to mention the weight!

• Members

I'm going to have to look into mine. That's just stupid.

Yo.

• Members

Mine was the rack unit but it came with a standard 15" in a box. Soon as I ditched the 15" Fenfer speaker and went to a pair of 8ohm cast frame speakers, like black widows or EV's the difference was like an earth quake.
:thu:

Hmmm....you have me thinking.

Yo.

• Members

I played a gig last year supporting a band whose bass player used a Vox 60W head through a Sunn 6x10. Same cab I believe, with the 45 degree angled baffles. It sounded ok, I am kicking myself that I didn't run my Trace head through it, because then I could give a more qualified opinion.

• Members

I played a gig last year supporting a band whose bass player used a Vox 60W head through a Sunn 6x10. Same cab I believe, with the 45 degree angled baffles. It sounded ok, I am kicking myself that I didn't run my Trace head through it, because then I could give a more qualified opinion.

You probably would've blown it. It's a guitar cab.

• Members

Fender BXR series felt to me like a response to the peavey mk, III, and IV.

Loud, tough, clean and sterile.

I used my BXR300 for litereally hundereds of gigs over ten years and it always worked. It really came into its own though with the addition of a preamp. First the fishman and later a Sansamp BDDI.

I downloaded the manuals for both the BXR 200 and 300. It's funny that the 200 manual mentions the ohms (4) that it is running but doesn't mention it in the 300. Both of the amps speakers have differnet parts numbers. After some research I found some guy on talkbass who asked the same exact question and what you said is exactly right. The 300 uses an 8 ohm 150 watt speaker but there is an option for another speaker out. Odd.

Would putting a new speaker in my BXR 200 really make that much difference?

Yo.

• Members

never used a 200, so I cant say for sure.

Played a BXR300R for 10 years and considered a BXR400R for a bit, but didnt buy it.

The best sound I got from the amp was when i made a 2x10 box for it and jammed in a couple of Eminence Kappa 10" 150W 8 ohm speakers.

It really kicked arse.

Heaps louder than the Nemesis Im using now, but way more heavy.:thu:

Archived