Need a new tweeter for my cab. (PLEASE RECOMMEND!!)

cavy

• Members

I've found that I'm overly boosting the treble at my bass and on my head becuase the piezo tweeter in my cab is so subdued. I hooked up a horn tweeter from one of my monitors and the difference was obvious. Although I'm not looking for as much top end as the fully loaded compression driver on a big wide horn, I do believe my cab could benefit immensly from replacing the piezo.

The hole for the piezo is about 3 1/2" in diameter, depth is probably not an issue. Here are some replacements I'm looking at:

Super tweeters:
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=264-240
or
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=290-532

Compression driver

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=264-225

***This driver should fit, or may need only minor mods to the size of the hole using the hm11-25 horn listed on the bottom of that same page.

Any recommendations? I know alot of cabs used "foster tweeters" (avatar, swr, etc...) but I can't seem to find any places to buy one of those, nor do I know if one would even fit....

• Members

I actually have one of those ear wax removers!!! but seriously, I know that the high end of my cab is lacking, so I guess its blown (and I wouldn't be surprized) Does anyone actually have real suggestions for the tweeter replacement?
I e-mailed dave at Avatar to see if he could sell me a foster horn. That may be the best solution as those are so widely used.

• Members

I actually put the Dayton Audio 5" driver in my homebuilt 1 15" cab (I actually talked to you about this before on a thread). And I like the way it integrates with that cab.

But I don't think my Nemesis cab has the space for that mod, and I'm actually thinking that I want the crispness that a tweeter provides. I like alot of attack on my pops when I slap.

• Members

I actually put the Dayton Audio 5" driver in my homebuilt 1 15" cab (I actually talked to you about this before on a thread). And I like the way it integrates with that cab.

But I don't think my Nemesis cab has the space for that mod, and I'm actually thinking that I want the crispness that a tweeter provides. I like alot of attack on my pops when I slap.

• Members

Doesn't seem like anyone really cares, but Dave at Avatar is going to send me a Foster tweeter for 29 bucks. I think that will do nicely, considering that alot of cab makers use foster horns. I'm hoping the piezo tweeter in my cab was its shortcoming and that this upgrade will last me while I'm saving up for some new gear.

• Members

Tweeters are for wannabe guitar players and wankers.

What is this supposed to mean? That the bass is only "supposed to be 'low' frequencies?"

If you think that, then you're missing out on some of the best parts of the bass. The ability to play low and high is one of the coolest aspects of a bass...and it definately seperates us from guitar players.....although for the record I probably can play guitar better than you too.

• Members
What is this supposed to mean? That the bass is only "supposed to be 'low' frequencies?"

If you think that, then you're missing out on some of the best parts of the bass. The ability to play low and high is one of the coolest aspects of a bass...and it definately seperates us from guitar players.....although for the record I probably can play guitar better than you too.

I'm missing out on the BEST PARTS? Oh NO!!:eek:

• Members
Did you already order the Foster?

I don't have mine, but I just dropped one of
these
into my 2x12 to serve as a monitor for my drummer.

I just ordered the foster yesterday!! That Selenium Dt150 is the exact one I posted a link to in my original post!! Where were you?!?:confused: What made you decide to use it? What kind of results did you get?

• Members

I just ordered the foster yesterday!! That Selenium Dt150 is the exact one I posted a link to in my original post!! Where were you?!?
:confused:
What made you decide to use it? What kind of results did you get?

Sorry, I ordered that last week to put into my B212. It is going to serve as a monitor for my drummer rather than a bass cab.

I ordered it because it was cheap, could handle some power and it fit the existing hole.

I assmbled it last night and it dropped right in. I also mounted a couple of 16 ohm Delta 12LFs that I got from rikshaw.

I didn'tget to test it because my wife was bitching about me not spending enough time with her or some crap.

I'll test it whe I get home today.

Sorry I didn't follow this thread closely. Next time PM me. ;)

• Members

If you are replacing a piezo with a magnetic tweeter, you are going to need a crossover to keep low frequencies out of the tweeter. Piezos have high capacitance, and naturally reject lows. Not so with midranges and horn tweeters. Parts Express has many high efficiency mids and tweets and crossovers. So does mcminone.com. Personally, I would go with a midrange cone or compression midrange speaker. Most tweets don't go low enough (or the bass speakers don't go high enough, depending on your perspective) to mate well with a woofer, leaving a hole in response in the upper midrange/lower treble frequencies. And why would you need 20k hz response for a bass?

• Members

My 210 does have a crossover already, I'm thinking around 3,500 hz. I had to fix a cap in it last summer and Burrdizzos and a few others helped me with that.

There's a chance my driver isn't a piezo. Its a "LeSon" I did some research on it and it came up as a Brazilian made driver and although in Portuguese, I'm pretty sure it said "piezo". Also SWR uses them for thier WorkingPro combos and Bassplayer listed them as using a piezo. That also said it was "harsh and unpleasant" so I'm hoping the foster will improve my 210 Nemesis....

Thanks for the advice, I actually just bought an Eminence crossover from parts express to use in my homemade 115 cab with a 5" dayton mid driver in it.

Archived