My CB100 arrived today with problems ... thanks AMS.

snakum

• Members

I ordered the refurb from AMS to save $100 (my mistake, obviously), and when I took it out of the box it was obvious a previous user had played it for a while then returned it for problems. It had not even been cleaned up. The problems are so severe it is also obvious that no one so much as tested it before they sent it right back out.

When turning it on for the first time I turned everything to '0' and waited for it to fire up ... and waited ... and waited .. power switch off and on ... nothing ... another five minutes. I finally moved the COSM models off FLAT to the next one and everything came on. Great. Nothing in the manual about that one.

So I start messing with it ... this thing really does blow me away. It is an unbelievable tone and volume out of this little box. I can't beleive the bottom end ... the effects are all very usable, if not stellar ... it projects so well that with a hi sensitivity extension cab I could probably gig it unmic'd in small clubs in my classic rock/blues/country cover band (we play at very reasonable volumes ... the crowds prefer it that way). But I start changing the models ... the sound cuts on and off as if it's slowly switching thru the models .. then starts playing continuously again. I get to the Octave setting ... killer little idea ... sounds tres kool. Problem number three arises ... it won't turn off. The Octave Bass effect follows me back thru all the models. Then finally it stopped firing up at all. Nothing ... nada.

So ... AMS can suck my @$$ for not testing the thing before they sent it back out, and I'm a little peturbed at Roland, too, because they require you to register for their user group before you can contact support.

So {censored} AMS for not testing their refurbs. The guys in QA need their asses kicked. This thing wasn't even cleaned up before they sent it right back out. Live and learn .. no more refurbs for me. And nothing ever from AMS.

And super {censored} Roland US for requiring me to go thru a user group registration process before I can contact support. That's just ig'nunt. No more Rolands for me, despite how unbelievably awesome this thing sounded when it could be made to work. You don't treat your customers to a convoluted registration process when your products break.

Of all the amps I have owned in almost 30 years playing music, and around 25 years gigging in clubs, only Peavey and Mesa has never let me down. If I remember correctly I have owned around 20 Peavey amplifiers, most were guitar amps, some were bass amps. And not one has ever let me down, in any reasonable interpretation of the word. Ever. Not one. They have always fired up ... every single goddamn one of them. Even after severely abusing my Peavey Classic combos (six C30s and four C50s) ... they ALWAYS fired up. Always. I may have replaced a couple fuses and a tube or two in all this time. So far my Mesa Boogie is holding up, too.

I'm sorry Hartley and Randall ... I'll never stray again. :D

• Members

That sucks but you really should give the Roland CB100 another chance. I can't imagine life without mine. It has just about every useable tone I could ever want except for true tube tone of course. From threads I've read on Talkbass the Roland cube series have drop-down-a-flight-of stairs-and-everything-works-fine reliability. Some people are still playing the orange cubes from the 70's! You are only the second person I've heard about having problems with them.

Who knows how this thing was abused. Blame AMS, not Roland. I say give it another shot. My CB100 works perfectly.

• Members

LMAO! I had a CB200 with ape-hangers when I was a kid. Used to ride that thing all over, like a dirt bike. Then I turned 18 ... got my first Harley ... by the time I was on my third one (an '85 Wide Glide) and I was still hooked on those ape-hangers. :D

About the Cube ... I am the very first person I have ever heard of having problems with one. The posts on TB were all very positive, with respect to build quality. And that little thing absolutely ROCKED for the short time it worked. I mean it SMOKED anything else of comparable size for tone and for volume, and it made the Line6 Lowdown 150 sound like a toy. I may get another one ... but I'll have to find a dealer somewhere in NC that has one in stock. That was my first, and last, experience with mail order equipment.

Archived