OT: Windows XP Question

ssimontis

• Members

Normally I am able to solve all of my computer troubles, but this one has me stumped. Apparently every folder on my computer somehow got marked "Read only" sometime this weekend. I was able to change the permissions back to normal, but is there any reason why this is happening? I'm running home edition SP2.

• Members

Normally I am able to solve all of my computer troubles, but this one has me stumped. Apparently every folder on my computer somehow got marked "Read only" sometime this weekend. I was able to change the permissions back to normal, but is there any reason why this is happening? I'm running home edition SP2.

If this just happened you can do a restore.

Pt

• Members

Hmm, apparently XP always does this but it should be meaningless. However it was giving my permission errors a minute ago. I think this is another message for me to get a mac. Unfortunately I don't have the money for anything new when it comes to computer stuff.

• Members

Assuming you'll have no trouble with a mac is a mistake.

You'll just have different trouble. (I like 'em though, don't get me wrong)

Also, all folders are marked as read-only in XP. The files inside are not. I had a bastard of a time right before I found that out. :(

• Members

Hmm, apparently XP always does this but it should be meaningless. However it was giving my permission errors a minute ago. I think this is another message for me to get a mac. Unfortunately I don't have the money for anything new when it comes to computer stuff.

Never had that happen! ick :confused:

I am guessing your user account has Administrator privileges? If so, then you should be able to remove Read-Only.

A friend of mine "upgraded" to Vista recently and it has done the same with some of his old data folders. He's an IT Pro and reckons it could be tricky. Hope I don't encounter that in my time, mind you I have seen 2K/XP do some wack {censored}.

Archived