Falsetto - Is The Vibrato Real?

jvardon

• Members

Is The Vibrato Used in Falsetto Real? - That's my question.

I read somewhere that because falsetto vibrates using only the outer edges of the vocal folds it cant produce a real vibrato and that countertenors have to become skilled at bouncing between to notes to "fake" a vibrato.

I've become quite good at this but recently read something contradictory.

So I just wanted to get more answers and hear some more opinions.

Thanks!

As an extra note i don't have any vibrato in my modal register either and have been using the note bouncing technique to try and start it.

• Members

From Wikipedia:

Vibrato is the pulse or wave in a sustained tone. Vibrato occurs naturally, and is the result of proper breath support and a relaxed vocal apparatus.

I'm not entirely sure how 'natural' vibrato is produce... I have a pretty good natural vibrato, me thinks... but I'm not sure it should be applauded.

In my eyes, vibrato is a stylization, and - although I use this stylization a lot - it should be something you control and use at your whim.

But I digress, I would've thought vibrato is the natural 'wobbling' of the vocal cords... can someone correct me here?

It should also be noted that alot of countertenors sing in head voice... not falsetto (it's far easier to do so IMO)

• Members

from wikipedia.

the answer to my question must be no i guess.

i was told that countertenors sung in falsetto since most of them are baritones (also read that somewhere).

i wish it were easier for me to sing in head voice.

my falsetto is way easier and it somehow has gained a very classical sound on the high notes(which i can apply to the lower notes). so i use it to practice countertenor music.

Archived