Dean Markley Blue Steel Strings

LoC

• Members

I am contemplating my next set of bass strings. I currently use SR2000 Will Lee's but I want to try to Blue Steels. Has anybody used them and if so what is your opinion, recommendation?

Also, on a similar note, I am thinking about customizing my string set by buying individual Dean Markley strings of the same type such at SR2000's or Blue Steels of my preferential width. For example, one series of the same type may offer .45 .65. 85. 105 but I may want to combine the .45 .65 with .87 and .107 strings of the same type but different widths. Has anybody ever done this and is there a significant or negative effect on sound?

• Members

I used Blue Steel for about 4 years. In fact, I had an endorsement with them. Since they only make sets of 4 and 5 strings, I was trying to help them come up with a 6 string set, but as of 2 years ago they didn't make them. I'd would have to get their 5 string set, then purchase a stray "C" string separately. They make a very goood string, but IMO they go dead a little too quick for me and they really sound bad when they are dead sounding. That, couple with the fact I couldn't get 6 string sets from them made me move on to the Elixir strings. The best strings on the market IMHO. I've had a set on my backup (Ibanex) bass since last March and they're still as crisp as when I first put them on. On my regular bass, I got 8 months out of them. I couldn't get more than 2 or 3 months with any other string!

my 1 1/2 cents,

Mr. Matt

• Members

i put Blue Steels on my Geddy.

made it ring like a bell. beautiful tone.

but they have this weird sticky feel to them that took about a month to either play it off, or for me to get used to it.

i liked them but i won't get them again.

some say they chew up the frets. i didn't have them on long enough to tell.

i think T Alan uses them as well.

• Members

What is the principle different in tone? And do they sound at the SR2000's at all?

Unfortunately I never have used the Will Lee's so can't tell you a difference between those 2. To me, the Blue Steels have a little brighter-jazzier tone when first put on. The slap sound is huge. Pretty good rock tone.

Mr. Matt

• Members

I've used Blue Steels when I had my Carvin Bunny B 5'er. They sounded great, and lasted a long time. During that time, I wasn't sweating and bleeding over 'em in smoky rooms getting beer spilled on 'em either. DR's never lasted me very long in those enviornments, FWIW. BUT ANYWAY...I'm using SR2000's now on my 'Ray 5 and prefer their slightly more piano-like sound. I REALLY prefer the SR2K's more nickel-like feel tho.

• Members

Thank you. I kinda understand what you mean by "piano like sound" but does that mean Blue Steels have more roar? Which has more depth but harmonic richness?

I really shouldn't say as I wasn't able to compare back to back. Also, I had them on different basses.

Archived