Genz Benz question...........

Thumpin5

• Members

I have some extra cash to burn right now and I'm thinking about adding a SWR Profesional Series 2x10 cab to go along with the 2 SWR 4X10 cabs that I already have. The 2 4x10 cabs that I have are 8 ohm cabs. So if I daisy chain the 2 cabs that I have along with a 8 ohm 2x10 cab, I should have a 2.6 ohm load, right???

If I do get the 2x10 cab, I should switch the flex switch on the back of the amp from 4 ohms to 2 ohms, right??? I would think so but I just wanted to ask since I didn't have time to call GB today.

While I'm posting ?'s about the amp, would this help out with a clipping issue I'm having by adding 2 more 10's to my setup??? I play a MM5 and I have the knobs on my bass set flat except for the treble knob. The amp starts to clip when I'm playing around on the B string.

Jody

• Members

Well since Hasbeen is here:

I have noticed that when I play my GBE600 into a 4 ohm load the "clip limit" light comes on frequently. Not steady on but on a lot.

The EQs are pretty flat. Preamp volume around 11 o'clock and master volume at about 8 o'clock.

I don't hear clipping.

I don't have this with an 8 ohm load.

Is this something to be concerned with?

• Members

yes....put the switch into the 2 ohm setting.

And what do you mean by "the amp clips"?

* do you mean the light comes on?

* which one.....input our output?

* do you hear clipping or are you only seeing the light?

Sorry to confuse you. I just see the red clip limit led light up on the status section on the amp when I'm playing around on the low B string. It's not affecting my tone at all. I just don't want to kill my cabs. I have the master volume set at 11 o'clock. Would adding another 2x10 cab help to fix this?

I was thinking that if I did add a 2x10 cab that I could cut down the master volume a little and it would be more forgiving on the amp.

• Members

to both posters (so this includes the question on the GBE600).....

the clip lamp comes on WAY before there is actually any clipping. So, this is not hurting the amp a single bit. If you don't hear clipping....you are fine.

Adding another cab will certainly move more air and add loudness....so, yes, it will "help". I say "help" because again, there isn't a problem unless:

A) You don't like your tone.

B) You can't hear yourself.

C) you hear clipping.

One thing....the GBE600 user mentioned his EQ settings but you didn't mention yours. So....if you really boost your lows, an mix your two channels, engage your LF Ext.....you'll certainly get those lights to come on as you're "over eq'ing".

• Members

I had a Goliath Jr that I use with a SWR Bass 750 and Goliath III. Aside from reducing the impedance I thought it was useless. I've got to think that it would be easier on your amp to drive the two cabs you have a little harder than add a 210 that would add very little,

Did I mention that I hate 210 cabs?

• Members

I had a Goliath Jr that I use with a SWR Bass 750 and Goliath III. Aside from reducing the impedance I thought it was useless. I've got to think that it would be easier on your amp to drive the two cabs you have a little harder than add a 210 that would add very little,

Did I mention that I hate 210 cabs?

So you don't think adding 2x10 to my rig would help with my clipping issue? I was thinking that if I did add the 2x10 cab that I could turn down the master volume and have the same volume that I'm playing at right now without clipping the amp if that makes any sense?

• Members

I want to know what a NEO-PAK 3.5 on top a NEOX-112T plays like!

The only local GB dealer is in Worth, IL, about 10 minutes from Dan at LAG (and 40 minutes from me). But when I was at his place sunday, it was an incredible day, and I wanted to get back and get the dogs to the woods. :p

• Members

So you don't think adding 2x10 to my rig would help with my clipping issue? I was thinking that if I did add the 2x10 cab that I could turn down the master volume and have the same volume that I'm playing at right now without clipping the amp if that makes any sense?

I understand what you're trying to do. I did the same with the rig I described.

The problem with cabs that have different speaker setups is that they usually have different sensitivity levels (i.e. the amount of sound they put out given the same amount of power).

For instance, (I'll use Eden data since I'm familiar with it) an Eden 210 has a sensitivity of 103db while the 410 has a sensitivity of 106db. 3 db difference is a significant amount of volume difference between the two cabs, not a good match. At one point, some of the dealers were pushing using the 1x15 with the 410 and that was ridiculous, the 1x5's sensitivity was only 100 db. I tried that combination, and wound up leaving the 15 at home and just running the 410.

As hasbeen already mentioned GB apparently sets the clip light so that it comes on relatively early. If it just comes on once in a while it shouldn't be a problem, but if it comes on all the time, you need a bigger amp, not a 210 cab to add to the current pile.

One final issue. While the GB is apparently setup to run with 2ohm loads, the amp will probably run hotter with a 2 ohm load as opposed to the 4 ohm load and that can contribute to releasing the magic smoke in your amp.

I'm a big fan of headroom, particularly with bass amps. If your amp can't keep up running 8 10s at 4 ohms, it's time to start saving your money for a bigger amp, not wasting it on a 210 cab.

• Members

Thumpin5, you are on the right track.

I have a GBE750 rig, and have had to solve the same issue you are describing, and the solution of adding more cabs is a good one that works. Don't ever worry about a GB running hot or smoking if you use a 2 ohm load, that is exactly what they are designed to do and have no problems running that way at all. None. All day long. Adding extra cabs WILL allow you to lower your gain some, and get you more volume. I have run mine with a single 412 cab with the band, and have to squeeze everything I can out of the amp without clipping, and need just a little more than I can get. Adding a 212 on top of that goes a LONG way to getting more volume, getting a cab up higher off the ground, and being able to run the output gain slightly lower. This is not going to be like having a way louder rig, but it will ease your problem enough to notice. Finally, there is nothing wrong at all with running different types of cabs. Mixing up big speakers and little speakers can make for a great sounding rig. The only tough part with a mono amp is that you end up with only one eq going to each, but if you have good cabs their tone will still shine through. I love the tone of a good 410 on top of a good 115, it has power, depth, fullness, good highs etc, the works. All depends on what kind of tone you want, or need with your band situation. :cool:

• Members

I want to know what a NEO-PAK 3.5 on top a NEOX-112T plays like!

The only local GB dealer is in Worth, IL, about 10 minutes from Dan at LAG (and 40 minutes from me). But when I was at his place sunday, it was an incredible day, and I wanted to get back and get the dogs to the woods.
:p

I wanted to know that too, then the folks at the shop turned me on to the Eden head and EA cab in my sig. The head's 4 pounds and the size of a car stereo and the cab is 30 pounds. Same price (exactly, actually) and I couldn't be happier. I'm putting bucks aside for a second Wizzy cab as I type this.

• Members

The only local GB dealer is in Worth, IL, about 10 minutes from Dan at LAG (and 40 minutes from me). But when I was at his place sunday, it was an incredible day, and I wanted to get back and get the dogs to the woods.
:p

Man, that must have been some crazy good weather to pull YOU away from that place!:p

• Members

I don't understand. One of you is running 8 10s and still needs more, because your head is clipping. Another runs 6 12s to keep up. I'm running my WT800 with a D410XLT against a guitar player with 3 amps a keyboard player running through the PA and a sax player running through the PA and I can drown the whole band out if I'm not careful. Even outdoors I only use either a twin 410 rig, or my 810 at 8 ohms and have plenty. Some of the clubs we play at I've had to cut back to my 212. I'm running the EQ flat, or within a hair or so, so I'm not sure why you're having all these problems cutting through.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I understand what you're trying to do. I did the same with the rig I described.

The problem with cabs that have different speaker setups is that they usually have different sensitivity levels (i.e. the amount of sound they put out given the same amount of power).

For instance, (I'll use Eden data since I'm familiar with it) an Eden 210 has a sensitivity of 103db while the 410 has a sensitivity of 106db. 3 db difference is a significant amount of volume difference between the two cabs, not a good match. At one point, some of the dealers were pushing using the 1x15 with the 410 and that was ridiculous, the 1x5's sensitivity was only 100 db. I tried that combination, and wound up leaving the 15 at home and just running the 410.

As hasbeen already mentioned GB apparently sets the clip light so that it comes on relatively early. If it just comes on once in a while it shouldn't be a problem, but if it comes on all the time, you need a bigger amp, not a 210 cab to add to the current pile.

One final issue. While the GB is apparently setup to run with 2ohm loads, the amp will probably run hotter with a 2 ohm load as opposed to the 4 ohm load and that can contribute to releasing the magic smoke in your amp.

I'm a big fan of headroom, particularly with bass amps. If your amp can't keep up running 8 10s at 4 ohms, it's time to start saving your money for a bigger amp, not wasting it on a 210 cab.

If any of our amps "goes pop" at 2 ohms....I'll eat it. I'll also buy lunch for anybody that has even heard of one going thermal.

Archived