alright i just put my neck back on and strung it up, and the neck's bowing back FAR

ryanstanley

• Members

should i just let the string tension slowly pull it back, or loosen the rod? just seems like string tension couldnt actually make that much of a difference. theyre actually resting on the base of the fretboard :freak:

and either way, can loosening it too much hurt anything, or is that only with tightening?

• Members

What's "it" look like?

BTW, do you have too much scoop between the neck and the strings, or not enough?

I take days to get a truss rod tweeked just right. 1.5 to 2 flats of a hex key (allen wrench) is about max for any one day. Then wait a few days. At least one or two, more if it's a new set-up or just received from a different climate.

• Members

If it looks like a hexagonal hole, it takes an Allen wrench. If it looks like a 6-pointed star, it takes a star wrench, but sometimes you can get a smaller Allen wrench to work. Could also be a square or hex cap. Or, if it's a square hole, it takes a square drive, like a lot of construction screws these days.

And what kind of bass?

• Members

it's a Jay Turser ripoff of a stingray. i figured out that when i put the neck back on it wasn't aligned right somehow... i dunno how, but it wasn't in the slot right :idk:

i finally got it right by holding it firm while my dad screwed it in.

turns out it WAS an allen wrench though, im not sure why i thought it wasn't.. but yeah i got it all together and its fine now. i ended up having to actually tighten the truss rod some, cause with the frets out the action was too high

sucks though, cause im gonna have to take it all apart again soon :o..... i realize now that i need laquer or something on the fretboard, plus i wanna sand the body down and stuff.

Wow, you can take your neck off?

I try to take mine off, and all I can hear is a crunching sound.

wtf-- really?

do you have a neck-through or set neck?

Archived