I played yet another Squier VM Jazz today...

georgestrings

• Members

...and this was the 4th or 5th that I've played that were ALL nice basses... It had a nice neck, with decent fretwork, good fit and finish, excellent sound, and good working tuners - for $279, what's not to love???

I put it on layaway - should have it in a couple of weeks...

- georgestrings

• Members

i was just leafing through my latest catalog from musicians friend...i.e. generic axe monthly...and as always i look at that squier vintage modifed jazz in natural with the block inlays...looks cool...i love jazzes, but i always think...damn, this thing must be crap....

so they are not crap?

• Members

i was just leafing through my latest catalog from musicians friend...i.e. generic axe monthly...and as always i look at that squier vintage modifed jazz in natural with the block inlays...looks cool...i love jazzes, but i always think...damn, this thing must be crap....

so they are not crap?

No, they are not crap in my experience(played atleast 4 or 5)... As for sound, I've been a lifelong Precision player, due to the tonal differences between them and Jazzes - but between my Active Jazz Deluxe and this Vintage Modified, I'm being converted...

I just played it through a Mark IV and a 410TVX they had in the store, and it sounded great - with all kinds of tonal possibilities...

- georgestrings

• Members

so they are not crap?

Played one last weekend. Was pretty nice for the price point. Satin finish on the neck felt plasticky, but it was smooth and played well. Didn;t have the "cut" my 75 does, but again, its $275. Saw a couple minor finish flaws, specifically in the neck binding. Its a squire, so if you are used to "nicer" basses, it is a step down. If you need a back up or student grade bass, its fine.

• Members

...and this was the 4th or 5th that I've played that were ALL nice basses... It had a nice neck, with decent fretwork, good fit and finish, excellent sound, and good working tuners - for $279, what's not to love???

I put it on layaway - should have it in a couple of weeks...

- georgestrings

Way to go! I have the fretless bug too - this one's coming my way, hopefully before the weekend if the UPS folks play nicely:

• Members

Way to go! I have the fretless bug too - this one's coming my way, hopefully before the weekend if the UPS folks play nicely:

NICE!!! I just started another thread on the VM Jazz fretless I played at the same shop - both are definetely good buys, IMO...

- georgestrings

• Members

excellent news...im just jonesing for something with block inlays...a purely cosmetic and vanity exercise...but one i can get behind for 275....

I mainly wanted it for the maple board, and natural body - but the rest of the package didn't hurt matters any...

- georgestrings

Archived