SpeakOn vs. 1/4"

LoC

• Members

I am wondering if SpeakOn does what it is supposed to. According to the advantages it is best for high wattage outputs. Why is this and would using 1/4" for more than 200 watts make a difference?

• Members

I just bought a Speakon not even 15 minutes ago. The advantages are suppossed to be a more reliable connection and in my Ampeg owner's manual, they stated that if you're using a head greater than 150w, it's better to use the Speakon. It was only $20 and for what I payed for my rig what the heck.

• Members

The big advantage with SpeakOn connections is that if you trip on a speaker cord, you have an opportunity to smash your cab and break your ankle instead of just breaking the cord. :freak:

Seriously, much better contact, supposed to be able to handle much higher current with much less resistance than 1/4" jack / plug connections - so more power to the speakers, with less work for the amplifier.

• Members

The only advantage of a Speakon over a standard 1/4" jack is that a speakon cannot accidentally be unplugged, they will also not vibrate out of the jack as 1/4" plugs sometimes do. This statement is for bass amps in the sub 1000 watt category.

All of my PA speaker cables are Speakon. My 500 watt bass head is connected to my bass cab with a 14 gauge 1/4" to 1/4" cable.

Bottom line, Speakon is more reliable and will protect your amp from a clumsy drummer. It will not sound any different.

• Members

I was wondering if the higher current capacity or whatever was actually true.

Might be true? Maybe. Do you need it? No.

Think of the wires that feed the socket your computer is on now. Imagine their thickness. Those wires will carry 3000-4000 watts without any problems at all.

• Members

I guess my main concern also would be the rewiring of a GB 410T XB from solely 1/4" to also include SpeakOns. Worth it? I have had a person estimate a $100 cost.

• Members

I guess my main concern also would be the rewiring of a GB 410T XB from solely 1/4" to also include SpeakOns. Worth it? I have had a person estimate a $100 cost.

Meh.

If you were on the road constantly, I would think it would be worth it, just because it's a more rugged system.

• Members

The only advantage of a Speakon over a standard 1/4" jack is that a speakon cannot accidentally be unplugged, they will also not vibrate out of the jack as 1/4" plugs sometimes do. This statement is for bass amps in the sub 1000 watt category.

Respectfully disagree.

Even a 200 watt amp puts out enough juice that you wouldn't wanna be holding the end of the speaker cable if you were well grounded ;)

Can you hear the difference? I dunno. Does it make a difference electrically? I think it does :)

I prefer banana plugs on the amp end (so the drummer doesn't drag my amp off the cabinet when he trips over cables on the backline) and speakons on the cabinet end. Besides, banana plugs have more contact area than speakons anyway - they're just a pain in the ass to use ;)

• Members

Might be true? Maybe. Do you need it? No.

Think of the wires that feed the socket your computer is on now. Imagine their thickness. Those wires will carry 3000-4000 watts without any problems at all.

It's not the wire thickness that's questionable; it's the point of contact. You could have the thickest gauge wire you can imagine, and if it only contacts the other end at a spot the size of a pinhead, there's really no point.

That said, I agree with Allan -- if you're using Speakon for your speakers, I'd connect the amp with banana plugs, or make sure you've secured the cables on the stage. With a 1/4" connection if someone trips, there's a good chance the cable is gonna come out (and potentially short out a power amp!); if someone trips on a Speakon cable locked at both ends and pulled relatively tense, they could take down a speaker.

Archived