either I can't solder...

xOriginalNinjax

• Members

or I'm an absolute moron.

I got new pots and a jack for my SX jazz..went to wire it all up...and then plugged it in after all was said and done. Nothing but a HORRRRRRRIBLE buzz. Couldn't get it to stop. So I unhooked the ground from the jack...then NO sound at all. No buzz, no noise from pots, nothin. There was a VERY faint sound when the ground was still connected...so wtf did I do wrong or screw up? I'm thinkin I somehow managed to burn up the pots or cap or somethin, since there were no wires touching and I had a point-point schematic right in front of me and checked every time before I soldered...:( I'm really peeved about this...I haven't had the jazz wired up in almost a month and I miss it...

• Members

Can you post pictures of your wiring? I'd be happy to look at it. It is highly unlikely that you burned up the cap (unless you can't solder
;)
) and less likely you hurt the pots. We'll figure it out.

Ok :( I'm really frustrated by this...:(

And don't you love how my phone doesn't focus on the near objects? It focuses on the distant ones...sorry...

• Members

I think I see some problems.
:)

Can you send me your schematic you are working from? I wonder if there is something funny with it.

No actually, it's a paper copy..and I don't have a copier...lemme compare it to the Seymour one and see if there's a difference...

• Members

Ok, the only difference is there's a wire going from the top (or third prong) of the bridge volume to the tone control. Then they have the ground connected to the tone pot and then by a wire to the jack. Those are the differences...everything else is the same, there's just those two wires. Should I try to wire those up and see?

• Moderators

Neck volume

left: to left of bridge volume

wiper: hot from pickup

right: grounded

Bridge volume

left: to wiper of tone pot

wiper: hot from pickup

right: grounded

tone

left:unused

wiper:to tip of jack

right: grounded via cap

output jack

tip: from tone wiper

sleeve: grounded

make sure the bridge is gounded - make sure the two pickups are grounded

*it looks like the tip of the jack is unsoldered and the ring (ground) is connected to the wiper of the tone pot

• Members

Neck volume

left: to left of bridge volume-x

wiper: hot from pickup-x

right: grounded-see below on grounded

Bridge volume

left: to wiper of tone pot-x

wiper: hot from pickup-x

right: grounded-how so? I have them wired from the 3rd lug to the pot itself...does it need more? There is an unshielded wire coming from the pickup that I also soldered there, does that ground?

tone

left:unused-x

wiper:to tip of jack-x

right: grounded via cap-x

output jack

tip: from tone wiper-x

sleeve: grounded-about to redo...I just ran a new ground wire as the old one had NO lead on it whatsoever...

make sure the bridge is gounded - make sure the two pickups are grounded

*it looks like the tip of the jack is unsoldered and the ring (ground) is connected to the wiper of the tone pot--which one should the wiper be attached to? the upper or lower lug? It honestly doesn't LOOK like it matters...but it may...I have it attached to the upper lug.

See edits.

• Members

I learned a long time ago soldering on pots is damned difficult. I ended up having cold solders and the bass wouldn't work. So I took it to Pete Hanewinckel and he fixed it and told me that you need to rough up the pots with sandpaper, then preheat them and then solder as quickly as possible. The more you screw with it, the less likely it will work. I don't know how good you are at soldering, but figured I'd toss in my .02

Dan

• Moderators

Just switch the lugs you are using on the jack. The one that has the strip of metal that attaches to the inner sleeve of the jack is your ground. The one that is currently not being used is the one that attaches to the tip. If you pulled the jack out and looked at it from the side you would see how the tip connects.

• Moderators

I learned a long time ago soldering on pots is damned difficult. I ended up having cold solders and the bass wouldn't work. So I took it to Pete Hanewinckel and he fixed it and told me that you need to rough up the pots with sandpaper, then preheat them and then solder as quickly as possible. The more you screw with it, the less likely it will work. I don't know how good you are at soldering, but figured I'd toss in my .02

Dan

Absolutely true if the pots are annodized. In this case, it doesn't look like they were. But your point is a very good one. You could identify this by simply not being able to get any solder to do anything other than ball up on the top of the pot. If this ever happens, rough up the pot case with a razor blade.

• Members

Dan

Thanks for the tips...the only thing I MIGHT have done on one was screwed with one wire a little too much, but I pre-heated and heated at the joint, not the solder itself...I really think it has to be a swapped wire or something. Really appreciate all the help so far though.

• Members

Just switch the lugs you are using on the jack. The one that has the strip of metal that attaches to the inner sleeve of the jack is your ground. The one that is currently not being used is the one that attaches to the tip. If you pulled the jack out and looked at it from the side you would see how the tip connects.

I noticed now...grrr...:( I feel dumb. Ok, I'm gonna resolder this, be back in a few and let ya know.

Archived