Mesa 400+ problems

whosbootiestank

• Members

Ok.. So my amp apparently is {censored}ing up. It is making these nasty scratchy sounds when turned on and while playing is distorted and scratchy. The story behind this is.. i left my amp in the states when i moved to italy. i took out all the tubes before i left. My brother recently picked up the amp from a friend and put the tubes in however didn't put the 4th 12ax7 in(apparently it was missing). It didn't work when he turned it on with the missing tube... obviously. He knows nothing about the amp but was going to let the bassist of his band use it for a temporary time. Anyways he got the tube at GC and brought the amp in and they tested it out and they got this scratchy disgusting sound out of it which i explained in the beginning. I'm freaking out a bit since i'm in Italy and my amp worked fine before i left. Anyone know or have experience with what may be going on here. maybe it fried all the tubes or the tube sockets. i don't know what to think so please help me out.

• Members

How long was it sitting in storage? What kind of conditions did it sit in? Humid, cool, hot, etc?

I do think you fired anything. Does it sound like this no matter what cab they plug it into?

I would get it checked out by a qualified repair tech. Not knowing anything about tube amps and messing around with them is recipe for disaster. You could actually be killed...seriously.

Archived