Inspiring Vocalists

cheesy

• Members

So which vocalists inspire you the most, they can be incredible famous or maybe a lesser known person, just post the name of the person with maybe a link to one of their best songs.

Im starting to loose interest in singing as i play the guitar more, but i'd like to even things out by trying out some new styles, so please do post.

Wayne Coyne of Flaming Lips; Tim Armstrong of Rancid; Lou Reed.

None of those guys can really sing! But I love their music. They show that you don't need a great voice to make engaging music. I find that inspiring.

• Members

I don't know if I am more inspired or discouraged, but these are the vocalists whose work I love and who make me want to practice and work hard to obtain the sound I want...but they sound so unlike me that its sad.

Jorn Lande

Hansi Kürsch

Jorn has so much power and control. He also has a way of delivering lines that will make the hair stand up on your neck, when he throws in some grit or starts belting it out at just the right time and all of that. He has great range, and can either sing clean or belt it out with lots of Dio-esque grit all over that range, which is something I am failing at right now.

Hansi is something else altogether. Very unique sounding voice with an expansive range (though much of it is in the high ranges) who can go from a dramatic clean with a Mercury-esque vibrato to a vicious, yet melodic grittiness that is full of rich undertones.

Even though they are not as technically great or as impressive in their range, I love the delivery and sound of guys like Piet Sielck of Iron Savior and Peavey Wagner of Rage.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Steve Perry

Jeff Tate

Mickey Thomas

David Coverdale

Lou Gramm

RJ Dio

Joe Lynn Turner

Jorn Lande

Bruce Dickinson (I need more cowbell)

Klaus Meine

Chris Cornell

Stevie Wonder

Mark Boals

JS Soto

I think that's enough... It's more the voices that I listen to. When I do sing a cover tune I try to think of the original singer mostly.

All fairly amazing in their own way.

• Members

Mine are slightly different than what you guys seem to be into, but they are my influences so here goes:

_____Singer Influences:_____

Ivan L. Moody:

Motograter/ Ghost Machine/ Five Finger Death Punch

Chad Gray:

MuDvAyNe/ HELLYEAH

Dave Williams:

Drowning PooL

Scooter Ward:

CoLD/ The Killer and the Star

Corey Tayler:

SLiPknoT/ Stone Sour

Trent Reznor: