GK2000RB + Bergantino NV610 + Lakland = Happy

Phantasm

• Members

At least for now I've been happy... "A" channel is for fingerstyle and I use the "B" channel for a slightly overdriven pick sound.

So far, so good, at least for the band I'm in that's rehearsing regularly.

Not necessarily useful but slightly on topic and may be of interest to someone...

• Members

Is that a 4-94? If not, which Lakland?

No question, that must be a dominating rig.

It's actually a 55-76, it's the Lakland version of a Stingray 5. It's got a Seymore Duncan humbucker with the new Lakland preamp system.

DSC01427.jpg

I do have a 4-94 with the Bartolini pickups and NTMB EQ, and I prefer that one through Ampeg head / Eden cab that I've used for years.

• Moderators

How do you like that combination of SD pickup and Lakland preamp? I've played a lot of basses with the new pickups and preamps, but never the preamp without the pickups. I've also played a 55-76 with a SD and the old preamp.

My favorite sounding Lakland ever was a Dark Starred 4-76. Oh my!

• Members

How do you like that combination of SD pickup and Lakland preamp? I've played a lot of basses with the new pickups and preamps, but never the preamp without the pickups. I've also played a 55-76 with a SD and the old preamp.

My favorite sounding Lakland ever was a Dark Starred 4-76. Oh my!

I like the combination it has in there right now, it's got lots of "bite." The 4-94 is more "polite" sounding with the bartolinis.

I have seen the fabled dark-starred 4-76! Many have spoken of this bass...

• Moderators

I like the combination it has in there right now, it's got lots of "bite." The 4-94 is more "polite" sounding with the bartolinis.

I have seen the fabled dark-starred 4-76! Many have spoken of this bass...

My experience with Bartolinis has never been favorable. Polite is a polite way to put it. Soft and weak is another. ;)

There were a few Dark Starred 4-76s. I only played one, but oh man...

• Members

My experience with Bartolinis has never been favorable. Polite is a polite way to put it. Soft and weak is another.
;)

There were a few Dark Starred 4-76s. I only played one, but oh man...

I don't usually like Bartolinis either. I like the nicer EMG's which usually everyone hates, but I'm not afraid for there to be "bite" and "attack" in my sound. For the 4-94, I override the pickups by boosting a lot at 800hz on the Ampeg amp and I actually roll off some of the lows on the bass to get more mids out. I usually boost at 2.5k and 500hz too on the bass.

The Lakland EQ has more mid points and seems more versatile. I like the bass eq on the instrumet a lot better on the 55-76 better also, it's more controlled and less boomy.

I have not actually held or played a dark starred Lakland. I've heard a lot of good and I just try to put it out of my mind while the gear budget recharges... :)

Archived