Speaker issues

cwatson

• Members

Well I gigged the new rig last night and whilst it was awesome I fear I may have damaged a cone in the 4x10, at any volume ther is a wierd kinda fuzz coming from the top right hand speaker, its quiet but noticeable (less at higher volume) and when slapping etc. I had the gain set so the tube saturation/early clip light would just come on when a string was plucked really hard, it was miles off of going amber ( I couldnt make it go amber if i tried (with the power amp switched off) and nowhere near red. so erm whats the prob have I blown me cone?

• Members

There could be a tear in the cone. Did you visually inspect the speaker?

Remove the grille or cloth and check for any defects in the cone itself. Then, GENTLY! push the cone inwards, towards the magnet. You shouldn't feel a lot of resistance or any 'scratching' noises when you do so.

• Members

Its a warwick 411 pro so it is ported, I hope it is port noise (would that be caused by the acoustics of the room its in?) I mean it sounded fine last night.

It wasnt super loud I mean loud enough to keep up with drummer and guitarist in a small venue And not be painful to the audience. I've tried it at low volumes and high and it goes when the power is cranked fairly loud.

• Members

Its a warwick 411 pro so it is ported, I hope it is port noise (would that be caused by the acoustics of the room its in?) I mean it sounded fine last night.

It wasnt super loud I mean loud enough to keep up with drummer and guitarist in a small venue And not be painful to the audience. I've tried it at low volumes and high and it goes when the power is cranked fairly loud.

Port noise is caused by air moving through the cabinet port. I think it's indicative of a port that's a wee bit too small, but I think people with more experience in speaker building can chime in about that. I'd check the speaker first if I were you. If it's not broken, it must be something else. Maybe even something small and silly, like a rattling screw.

Archived